Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean to go back into (limited) production?
Having owned two DeLoreans - I could see me buying a 'new' one.

Is the history of the car all that important? I would hope not (it's not a particularly bright one). I mean, the car and the community is what brings us together (or I should say, brought - I don't have the luxury these days Sad ) and I'd welcome a car that looked like the original, with some updates.

In fact, from my searching I think the cars would be remanufactured largely from new, not NOS, stock. That, is of course, rumour at this point. I know DMCH have been working on new engines, interiors, wheels etc etc so I figure the car would be similar to the re-engineered Jags (XJS/E-Type) and Astons you can now buy. They look "original" but underneath, are anything but. Is that a bad thing? Hell no!

Old cars have character; but admit it, who really enjoys faffing with knackered electronics or a beaten up old engine? (no, I'm not referring to the DeLorean!). I'd like to whip open the garage door and just know it'll work. Then again, I have about 8 seconds a week that I can call "mine" so maybe I'm just biased! Tongue

The big no, no? The price. These things will be 911/Aston V8 money and you would have to be off your trolley to think it'd be worth it (especially if they arrive with an old, nearly impossible to find, PRV V6).

Alas, this is all opinion. It's only mine, not anyone elses, nor do I think any of it right or wrong - it's just speculation. So you can't shoot me down. Honest. Big Grin

I keep threatening my girlfriend with another DeLorean as a V8 project (the LS2 in my Monaro would suit it I think) but she gives me that "I will make you sorry" look each time, so I think I might just leave it for now!.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Official word from DMC, they will have their first cars in 2008.
57k .. even in dollars that's pretty pricey.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/woodward-dream-...291730.php

Richard H
Richard Hynes
Mem No: 568
Vin: 2633

[Image: Calavera121.png]
yes thats a lot of money for , what basiclly is a bitza, we will see :roll: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
yeah, believe it when I see it.........

I mean, compared to the 'refurbished' cars that they sell for about $42k, what exactly do you get for your extra $15k? Surely building cars from 26yr old NOS stock parts, is not *that* much different to completely restoring one using the same 26yr old NOS parts? :?

Sorry.........yet to be fully convinced on this one..........

Great DeLorean PR exercise tho, gotta give em credit for that one! :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
There's talk of the new ones coming with stainless frames.

James Espey and Steve Wynne are meant to be writing a little something about it all for the club mag. I'll chase them up on it...
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
also just read on the DML that they have a Stage III engine which is supercharged
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Oh yeah, Supercharged Big Grin

Dan
ive heard a roumour that the price for stage 3 will be around $10k
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Daniel Shane Wrote:Oh yeah, Supercharged Big Grin

Dan
great Big Grin until you need to stop and go round corners :lol: :lol:
a very cynical TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
mmmmmmmmmm supercharger mmmmmmmmmm

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Flopsy + Supercharger + Santa Pod = Big Grin
Superchargers are great if you retro-fit the rest of the car to cope. Brakes and suspension (I kid thee not). I can't see the DeLorean's stock stoppers being any good with real power behind them!

I know on my Monaro, the 'recommended' upgrade brake wise is £2500 when the supercharger goes on... and that's £6k! (but then again, 600hp is easy as well)
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

I cannot agree more.

I always make sure I can stop before I make any car go faster. Brakes are a must as are steering and suspension.

I have seen a few ways of reinforcing the front lower control arm to take the strain of more power, from boxing it in to adding extra arms to hold it from deforming. Watch BTTF when Marty Skids the Delorean to a stop infront of the 1955 Lyons Estate entrance, the front wheel is almost going under the car !!!

New ball joints and Poly bushes would also be high on my list if I were going down the supercharger route.

Dan
just watched that.

you mean under the car as un on its vertical tucking under, or backwards into the footwell?
(don't want to turn this into a bttf thread, but...)

looks similar to the sequence to the one with the indians in back3, one of the wheels looks to be tucking outwards on its vertical.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Daniel Shane Wrote:I cannot agree more.

I always make sure I can stop before I make any car go faster. Brakes are a must as are steering and suspension.

I have seen a few ways of reinforcing the front lower control arm to take the strain of more power, from boxing it in to adding extra arms to hold it from deforming. Watch BTTF when Marty Skids the Delorean to a stop infront of the 1955 Lyons Estate entrance, the front wheel is almost going under the car !!!

New ball joints and Poly bushes would also be high on my list if I were going down the supercharger route.

Dan

mmm,
Not that I hate to admit to being wrong but I do wish I had done the above before installing my own version of a stage 2 engine. The above is on the top of my list for this winter, new pads,dics,bearings,springs,brake flexi pipes and if any one can come up with a good sugestion new poly bushes on the arms!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Daniel Shane Wrote:I cannot agree more.

Dan

Dan, you can be rest assured that the moment I decide to throw lots of (so far non existent) cash at Flopsy's performance enhancements, you're expertise and advice (and help! Big Grin ) will be called upon to make sure I dont wrap the car round the first lamp-post it comes across post conversion!

..............What do you mean you're leaving the country? :lol: