Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LHD Euro Spec
deloreanguy Wrote:I have two or three factory engineering change records that specifically refer to Euro-spec cars. I can view posts here, but not reply to them for some reason. I have started a thread on this subject with copies of these EC's at http://www.dmchelp.com - if I run across anything else it will be posted there.

James
DMC (Texas)

FYI

This came through today, he's having some problems with the forum.
Hi

out of interest Phil, i take it Gerry did post fit that Gerry did post fit that steel tank?.

in which case is the Durran Durran car that same as i assume this was released by the factory for RHD UK use.

in fact is vin 510 the same too?. did Gerry get his hands on these cars?.

Personally i do like the different rear lights, even though they are not Wooler Hodec fitted.

i would say the US lights were not legal back in 81 in the UK, certainly no fog, and (sorry to some owners) but an added hung fog just looks out of place certainly on an expensive car at that time.

i agree Phil i see the term euro spec in terms of official factory release during production or pre-production, 80-83. So a special order car which would come off the line as normal LHD, then in house or Hodec or similar revised.
i would guess a european buyer at that time would want a higher speedo etc, as he did not have the daft restraints of the US 85 mph law, and anway were not the Canadian cars high kmh speedo's.?
another question did these roll off as standard us spec, and then 'converted'?

i see a factory RHD as anything RHD produced by Delorean motor company at that time 80-83 either inhouse or by an authorised independent ie Wooler-Hodec.

other companies used this system at that time, as to set up a production line for a select few car would have been difficult.

ie a BMW Baur 3 series cabriolet (which i had) this was pre-full cabriolet still an official BMW issue but a seperate comany hacked the roof off!. had full BMW warranties through dealers etc.

same for Fiesta fly (converted by Crayford) still issued as a factory car.

Regards

Steve

regards

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi Steve,
regards vin 510 it still has its original plastic tank. ( and rear lights)
As it was sold by the receivers in May 84, at the last factory auction and then direct to the Australian Multi-billionaire Robert Holmes-A-Court, it did not go near Gerry castle, who "preyed" on British buyers at the UK auctions. He convinced a lot of folk all cars British needed his "make over" to make them read legal in the UK. This is why Dusty was never put on the road. The Buyer refused to pay any more and ended up leaving it in his barn for the next 20 years until I found it.

As a matter of interest, this is how I discovered dusty....I was at work ( Derby Plating) when one of my customers came in with his job. He walked straight past my (other DeLorean....doors open) and didn't pass any comment. I was a bit miffed so challenged him....."I bet you have never seen one of those before?" Oh yes I have, he says, a chap in our village has got one in his barn. Feeling a bit deflated, I said, "I bet its not a RHD like that one". Oh I think it is he said!!
He then had my full attention! I asked for full details and he said that he couldn't remember the chaps proper address, but he sold Irish Linen in Loughborough. It took me all afternoon on the phone until I finally tracked the owner down..he rather reluctantly told me all about the car, never been registered or on the road...only got 4 miles on the clock etc. It took another month before he let me have a look at at it and another 6 months before I could convince him to sell it me.

( nothing to to with being Secretary of the club at that time).

My very good friend, Ian Foster now has Dusty safely tucked up in his collection in Northern Ireland.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
hi Chris

as i thought really, that VIN 510 would have its plastic tank.

out of interest did Gerry convert the 'wales' car?. As this has a SIJ number (or similar) roof aerial, and the different rear lights (i think)

when i saw it had lights, bumpers, interior removed!

its laquer was also peeling, and the rear exhausts were fluted at the ends (and rusting!).

i gather Dave H saw this car when it was LHD.

i made offers but the owner said if i was close to £30K (!!!???) for an aftermarket conversion needing £10k spending on it!

Regards

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi Steve,

As you say, Dave Howarth knows the full story on SIJ 5996, or Vin 769. It was definately "post factory" converted, I assume that Gerry Castle organised it, but cannot be sure.

Its three brothers are vin 752, 758 and (780, another of Ian Fosters). All were definitely "post Factory converted"

This car should not be confused with SIJ 5699 or vin 12174 another RHD in N.I. one of the original Wooler cars.

I personally would value vin 769 at less than 20K as it now needs major work. I understand it is still with its original owner.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris

the owner told me it cost £10k to convert!.

he paid £12k in about 1985.

it also had added go faster type low down side stripes i seem to remember. Poor thing was over grassed area, by the sea with a tarpaulin and bricks holding it down. looking very sorry.

thats why i could not understand why he would not sell when i made a good offer (said he may give to his son!)

i would say mat even need a frame off if the sea has got to the frame (he asked me if i had frame rust probs with mine! )

Regards

Steve, slightly off topic
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hiya Steve,

steve.s Wrote:out of interest Phil, i take it Gerry did post fit that Gerry did post fit that steel tank?
Yep, as Chrispy says that was one of Gerry's mods as apparently the OEM plastic fuel tank would not have met UK regulations at the time. The metal tanks are quite nicely made but to my mind it's not how the car left Woolers, hence why the one from my car is now sitting on that shelf in the garage. :wink:

steve.s Wrote:Personally i do like the different rear lights, even though they are not Wooler Hodec fitted.
I must admit I have a sneaking fondness for them too! They do make the car look quite 'mean' when viewed from the back.

steve.s Wrote:were not the Canadian cars high kmh speedo's?
Yes, they had the KPH speedo and I believe they also had the metric gagues (for oil pressure etc.) too? I'm not sure if there was a separate build line at the factory for fitting the different gagues or whether these were retrofitted at QACs over the pond. James Espey might have more info on this...

The Wooler-Hodec cars seem to have a lot of variation in terms of instrumentation. There are 140MPH speedos, KPH speedos, full metric instrumentation set-ups (including the fuel gauge with the little red marker on the "empty" section) and fuel gauges without the "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" text in preparation for the cars being run on Four Star leaded petrol

Chris P - do you have any photos of Dusty's instrument cluster from when you first discovered her? This would represent an example of a 100% unmolested set-up, exactly as it left Wooler-Hodec.
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Sure if you want an oem metric instrument console, in stock now Smile :-

[Image: 100548M.jpg]

Price: $328.13
Phil Peters Wrote:Yes, they had the KPH speedo and I believe they also had the metric gagues (for oil pressure etc.) too?

Yeah, mine has the full metric console and it does include metric oil pressure. It's in something hugely useful like Kg/cm2
Chris Bale
Norwich, Norfolk

DOC# 528 / VIN# 2325
All very interesting.

Phil Peters Wrote:
steve.s Wrote:Personally i do like the different rear lights, even though they are not Wooler Hodec fitted.
I must admit I have a sneaking fondness for them too! They do make the car look quite 'mean' when viewed from the back.

Big Grin But most people who had them have changed them, for various different reasons.
Here you go folks, a shot of Dusty's dashboard set-up, courtesy of Chris P:

[Image: dusty-dash.jpg]

It looks like she's running a 140MPH speedo and federal gauges, except for the fuel gauge which has the little red marker and no "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" text. And on the right-hand side, it looks as if the "LAMBDA" text has been removed from the Lambda warning light?

I also like the original wrapped and stitched binnacle, very rare Big Grin

And here's another one courtesy of Chris which was taken when he rescued Dusty from the barn:

[Image: dusty-barn.jpg]

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Hi

Seeing that car for the first time must have been a magical moment, especially when the chap agreed to sell.

it does not get much better for a 'barn find' and one which may not be repeated...unless proto 2 turns up!!!

or maybe Pilot 24, as i saw in a photo being tested on the road!

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
four miles. jeez

i remember the video then Chris P was talking about that. unbelievable. Shock Smile