Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"EuroTec" Weekend in Norfolk, UK - 5th June 2009
bozzzydmc Wrote:Claire

Please dont take this personally but Im sorry you are wrong on this.

Glen (and I) organised this as a DOC Club event back in June Last year, Glen was and still officially is the DOC Events Organiser and on the back of everyone who was at the event last year this event was organised on behalf of the Club and its Members.

Mike, I dont want to get into an argument with you, I've considered you a friend for a
number of years now and I wouldnt want that to change.

At the AGM in 2007, it was agreed that 'Eurotec'/Whatever it be called would be rotated
around the UK at different locations to give all members a fair crack at attending a large
event - for some people, Norfolk is a heck of a long drive and not that easy to get to.

We were all looking into alternative venues for 2009's event, including Wales, the Lake District,
Yorkshire and the South West, when it was announced, out of the blue, that it was going
to be at Arrans again. This did cause a few crossed words between various people at the time,
but this has all been sorted now, and the 2010 event, the location of which was raised at the
2008 AGM and agreed upon by those present, is now being sorted out properly, and full details will
be posted shortly and put in DeLorean News.

Like I say, I dont want to fall out with you, or anyone Mike, but I do resent being made out
to be some sort of 'bad guy' here.

I hope all of you attending Arran's this year have a great time, the rolling road looks fab, and
well done Mike for arranging this, I'm sure it will be a sucess.

Best wishes,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
For some people North Wales is a heck of a drive and even worse for some of the Euro crowd.

Mike Bosworth is 100% top guy, he has seen something here on emails etc..that has disturbed him..he isnt making it up.

Why would it cause crossed words..... if Arran decided to get going instead of the club dithering then he should be supported not castigated...and should be thanked for offering it again at such a good rate.

There seems more to this than meets the eye.

I hope there is a 2010 event at Arrans as well.
Hear hear! Nice to see some interest back in this thread again!

Thunderchild Wrote:Does anybody fancy sharing a room for Eurotec?
I may have solved that problem for you Chris - I've emailed you directly.

bozzzydmc Wrote:Again I wish to thank Arran for his generosity because without it we would all be paying a heck of a lot more to have this.
Thanks Mike - it's no problem! As many of you know I have really enjoyed hosting these events here - especially the last 2 "mini-events", which have been more social and intimate, and I've had a bit more time to join in myself. Long may it continue! :wink:

A Van Wrote:I do think though Mike, the club would be far better spending what little money it has on other things rather than subsidising events that not all of the membership attend, I think investing in parts or something is a far better way to use the clubs money
Totally agree - my point entirely!

A Van Wrote:Arran has a passion for DeLoreans thats why he does at it, at what I think can only be not much more than trade prices all just for us.
As with all the events I have tried to keep the costs down, so that I'm not gaining from it. In June it's a lot harder, because without "the event" we'd be full both nights at about £145 per room per night (plus food and drink profits :wink: ) on average, so I lose out - a lot - but have a good time doing it! and a lot less stress!. The winter events have been "bargain basement" prices, probably dead on the cost price, since we probably wouldn't be full on the dates we chose on those occasions.

A Van Wrote:Eurotec is here to stay!
Quite true.....

bozzzydmc Wrote:At some point various Club officals decided they didnt like the idea of holding this event as a 'DOC' event, at that point and ( and at their request ) the DOC part was taken off the event 'listing'

Unfortunatley I very well know the reasons for this decision and I will of course respect everyones confidentiality but when I was mistakenly copied in on various emails ( And I think you know which ones i mean ) it did make me think why the heck I was bothering to help organise this at all.

My post above was as simple as this... at least 6 people have asked me in the last couple of weeks or so asking why it appears the DOC isn't supporting this event, the simple answer I gave is ..No..they are not and hence they are not helping to support this financially. Did I tell them why ?.. No... but im wondering just how long i can bite my tounge for...

I will see this event through and then I will probably just float off into the blue yonder as its no fun having to defend your corner when my good nature stops me from doing so.
I know the feeling Mike (yes, I've seen some of those emails too I think). We'll talk about the "blue yonder" thing :wink:

Claire Usher Wrote:If Arran wants to offer his hotel to Club members at
reduced rates, then that is entirely up to him, and I'm sure that the membership that
go are very grateful for this.
Yes - I think the repeat attendance, in many cases three times in one year sums that up

A Van Wrote:For some people North Wales is a heck of a drive and even worse for some of the Euro crowd.

I hope there is a 2010 event at Arrans as well.
Well - since you ask - yes! :wink: The link has been on the page for some time.... - And a special "credit crunching discount" for for first fifteen of those that are mad enough to book 14 months in advance...! either click through from the main http://www.caleyhallhotel.co.uk/delorean page, or go straight to http://www.caleyhallhotel.co.uk/delorean/2010
Just to give the opinion of a long distance traveller on this. For me crossing the water is the most expensive part. The drive to and from the event is special as I love getting out in my car. Most of the DOC are on the mainland and no matter where it is people will have to travel. Arran facilitates the Eurotec event in a beautiful setting and for a reasonable price. The event is usually close to fully booked from what I have seen and people return year on year. On last year I would say with a more structured program of onsite events would be the only suggested improvement.

I am not sure what the issue is with this as a venue as I am not present at meetings of the DOC hierarchy. Those who have taken the time to help and speak with me before, during and after this event last year have been great. From a long distance point of view though there are cracks emerging in the DOC between the more active members, in my opinion striving to progress the club, and the controlling members, who seem to have differing opinions of the way forward.

This tension will be dispersed somewhere, whether it is in an eventual split, members leaving or in the best case a resolution being reached. This club is based on one thing, the Delorean Motor Car. Each of us invest vast quantities of money into something we are passionate about and we share our experiences through this forum, visting each other and meeting up. Deloreans connections in the UK are the factory in Belfast and Lotus in Norfolk so why would our annual meeting be anywhere else? We have an established venue where the owner and staff are flexible on the capabilities of the event. If you want to organise something elsewhere then you are working within the boundaries of someone new and unknown. The new event will never have the support of all the members and in time it is likely there will be no annual meet with the possibility of a failing DOC.

It is only the opinion of a 25 year old Northern Irish man but it is an opinion none the less. Everyone get on board and develop the Caley Hall meet or pull in different directions ripping apart the DOC.
Follow my Restoration Progress at http://www.project2456.co.uk
VIN 2456, 2835
DOC 621
I was merely clarifying what was agreed at the last 2 AGM's regarding the
location for the annual 'big meet up'.

Basically, it was decided at the last 2 AGM's, that the whole club membership is invited
to attend, that the annual DOC get-together would be rotated around the UK to make
it fair to all DOC members and give everyone a chance to attend - not just those who
live on the 'doorstep' or can afford to drive such a long way. This was democratically
decided on and voted on at the meetings by those who turned up. The intention was
never to take the event away from Norfolk, but to make it accessible for as many people
as possible. Sureley that is fair to every paying member of this club? I have been a member
of many car clubs over the years, and we never had the annual get together in the same
place year on year - it would be like going to Benidorm on holiday the same week every year
- you just dont do it - not only does the rotation plan make it fair for everyone, it also keeps
the events fresh and interesting. And FWIW, the 2010 venue that has been agreed on in
Shropshire has held car club events before, so is more then capable of attending to our needs.

It was very soon after the last 'Eurotec' that alternative locations were being
looked into (and the intention would have been to go back to Arran's if he wanted
us every 3-4 years). There was certainly no 'dithering', we were all actively trying
to sort something out for 2009 before venues got booked up. However, like I said
before, it was announced out of the blue that 2009 would yet again be in Norfolk.

Arran was also fully aware that alternative venues round the UK were being considered,
as he spoke to Phill and I at length about it last year, and even said he may like to go
to another place, give him a chance to take his car a bit more then a few miles.

North Wales may be a long way from Essex, but its much closer to Ireland, the North and
West of England and Scotland, so would benefit members from those regions who would
like to attend an event, but are put off by driving to North Norfolk.

North Wales wasn't a venue we were looking at anyway.

I'm sure Arran will continue to hold his own events at his hotel, and I havent got a problem
with that.

Arran is NOT being castigated in any way at all, and there is no conspiracy by the "DOC
Hierachy" to either rip the club apart or diss Arran in anyway for the generous support he
has shown the club over the last 3-4 years. Caley Hall is a great venue, no one disputes
that at all.

Anyway, this is getting off topic now, those of you who are going to Norfolk have a
great time (which I'm sure you will do).
yeah c'mon everyone lets leave it at that.
We all have enough problems with this damn recession, but for me the friendships i have forged over the last 5 years is the most important thing for me, the car and politics come second.

I just think that discussing things on here can cause more problems than we need, i like people to get on and enjoy life and i love our get togethers as it makes a change from the daily grind of work and bills.

I do understand everyones views so maybe a few phone calls may clear up some of these issues. We are a small club and need all the members we can get.

And lets hope Glen makes a quick recovery from an illness that can strike anyone at any time without warning, i know hes a scatty sod but would we want him any different :lol:

Any way thats my serious bit out the way, so dont expect anymore posts containing mature replys cos you wont get any :wink: all my love TT ps democracy dont you love it
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
oh yes and while im at it, my avatar is real im down to one cat now :wink: TT X
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
lol Tourettes!!!

I knew we could count on you to be the voice of reason!!! :lol:

Have a good weekend mate - oh and everyone loved that joke you
sent me earlier Big Grin
I was hoping for your "HANDBAGS!" line again tony! Big Grin
Quote:it would be like going to Benidorm on holiday the same week every year
- you just dont do it - not only does the rotation plan make it fair for everyone

Why not? Are you thinking from your own perspective or the memberships Claire?

As for the rotation plan, we havent got that many cars or active members as some other clubs.

Very,very few people live on the doorstep of Caley Hall, Essex is a good 1hr30 away.

To me I wouldnt mind driving further if it meant that I was saving money on the venue when I got there, but that isnt going to happen, anyway the place that appears to have been 'chosen' doesnt exactly sound enthralling.

Quote:Moreton Park Lodge Motel, Welsh border:

“To top it off, I awoke in the morning with what appeared to be flea bites down my arms where they had touched the woolen blanket. It was a miserable night's stay, and I was offered no discount for not getting the room I had booked.

“The room we were given had been heavily smoked in previously. It stank. There was no other available room. The attitude of the staff was "take it or leave it", not our fault if guests smoke in the rooms”

“This hotel has suffered since we stayed there 3 years ago it is now no more than a builders overnight stop over, the pub next door is about the worst I have had to visit and we did not eat our evening meals there we did have breakfast and that was poor the hot plate food had been out for ages eggs were hard and bacon like cardboard. The rooms are showing their age and becoming dirty.”

“The service at breakfast on the Sunday morning was pathetic.“

"They allocate rooms for smokers which is a bonus for those of us who like the occasional chuff.

The place is more like a motel but very well run with good facilities on site (adjacent to a garden centre / restaurant / foodhall / pub which are all owned by the same people as the motel) and helpful staff.

I have no complaints about the place as a handy stop over but the location on a main road in an industrial area would not make it ideal for holiday makers."
Oh for goodness sake Al, I really do give up!!!

No, that perspective was not mine, but that of several people - anyone
would think I had a 'one woman vendetta' against Caley Hall the way
some people have responded tonight.

I dont know where you found that 'review', or how old it is, but it certainly
does not reflect the opinions of Moreton Lodge from several people in the club
who have been and checked it out prior to it being put forward as the DOC 2010
venue.

If you dont want to go, then dont go!! No one is forcing you.

Quite frankly, I've got enough on my plate with my own 'health issues' at the
moment, and I dont need this aggro on top of it.

Lifes too short.
So have these reconniassance missions been funded by the club?

We all have issues Claire and I am sorry to hear about yours...but I was only asking questions not demanding immediate replies.

It may be that these emails that went around should be brought into the forum domain for the membership to see and make their own minds up...then maybe not.
hi all

Great Arran didn't relise till just know that dates are up for next year yet, thats great news. I will contact you 2morrow to sort our room out. With regards to comments about glen he is getting better thankyou, and you will be glad to know we will be attending eurotec in june. thanks for all the support. this kind of argueing on here does not help glen at all. we both love eurotec at arran's and nec night out. we both look forward to these events to meet up with all our friends we have met over the years in the delorean club.

we now need to sort out if a disco is wanted. as a Delorean member has kindly offered to supply the equipment due to glen being ill. but has asked for glen to do saturday night only.

please can we have your thoughts on this please.

can't wait to see everyone in june seems so long since the nec, As the nec wasn't a very big turn out.

with the depression on at mo we all need a break and get together

thanks mike for sorting the rolling road out it looks great. i need to lose some weight

regards to sales of ed uding from holland, you can either contact him now and fine out the up to date prices of parts due to the euro changing all the time. you can pay now for your items or at eurotec.
A Van Wrote:So have these reconniassance missions been funded by the club?

No Alistair, no club funds were used, people that went did so off their own backs and
at their own expense, and in their own time. They did this in the interests of the Club
and its membership.

Other venues were also looked at, again at people's own expense, but these were not
considered suitable due to various things, including location and facilities on offer.

That is why, Moreton Lodge was put forward for the DOC 2010 event next June at the
AGM. Those that attended the AGM were asked their thoughts on this, and it was agreed
that this would be the venue (as reported in the AGM Minutes and published in DeLorean News).

I trust this clarifies things.

Thank you for your kind words about my current situation, hopefully I'll know more after
2 more appointments next week.........
Glen & Sam Wrote:Great Arran didn't relise till just know that dates are up for next year yet, thats great news.
Yes - sorry Glen - I know our last conversation on the subject was some time ago and I said I was going to post then - no excuse, just been busy - sorry!

Glen & Sam Wrote:With regards to comments about glen he is getting better thankyou, and you will be glad to know we will be attending eurotec in june. thanks for all the support.
and 2010 lol!

Glen & Sam Wrote:we now need to sort out if a disco is wanted
I've emailed you about that Glen. PGR4 DeLorean racing, Nintendo Wii, Karaoke, and Alistair and Tony will entertain the smokers outside!

2010 now has its own thread.... Back to 2009....! 4 rooms left - I think www.caleyhallhotel.co.uk/delorean