Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FUEL SENDER UNIT IN TANK
ok one at a time cheers for all feed back first

nice about the yellow batmobile i bet you all kicking ya selfs now should have kept it or something very nice too though

as for the firebird owning it its like having a knight rider car but you have to forget all of knight rider and drive the car like a boat really its a typical yank very boingy and very heavy but massively fast in a strait line and it was nice to remove all the injection system cause it was all nakered and remove all the wireing and the computer and all that and put a carb on they run alot better on carbs but with any 5.0 v8 petrol goes in and out the other end if we had better weather in the uk it would be ok but its shape does not match what the car is youd think it looks quick but its a typical ploddy yank but the brakes on min do actually work its a very lazy car to drive but if ya want one still there still dropping in price for a nice one you can get one for about 3,000 or 4,000 depending on what ya want they do come up cheaper i paid 2,500 for mine its been good as gold

those tank senders are a bit wierd but i suppose the gage is reallly a guide to how much petrol you got any way but we will see if it gets any worse i might change it or take it out and clean it its not a hard thing to do anyway but we shall see

thanks again for all your replys

cheers

anymore keeep it up
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
Claire Usher Wrote:I've got a DMCH fuel sender in mine - wish I hadnt wasted my money... Sad

Got a Saab sender and Tankzilla to experiment with tho, so I'll see if thats
any better. Mind you, when funds allow, the fuel tank is coming out to be
replaced with a 60 litre LPG tank........... :wink: Big Grin :wink:

Claire, I had a Saab sender unit it mine and the gauge read upside down !

I think the resistance of the wiper goes from 0 to 100 Ohms from min to max.

The sender units that are enclosed in an aluminium cylinder with a small hole in the top are better as they are air damped. Mine has been OK.

NickT.
apparantly the Tankzilla thing makes the Saab unit read correctly...

anyone able to confirm this?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Claire

Yep thats what the tankzilla box of tricks is for, it reverses the Saab's sender so that the gauge works correctly.

The last time I had that unit in my car it worked fine apart from the saab sender itself

Dan
[Image: alpine.jpg]

Ummmm.....Bring back the dancing duck.... Smile Smile
For more on the unfortunate A610 see the below:-

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 4597#14597
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
[Image: alpine.gif]

Now your rubbing it in Smile

Thats a hell of a crash there.. looks like it lands on top of the crash barrier ..poor Alpine ...
Just testing my programing skills for converting flv to gif.

The Duck is back Smile

Dan
Hi All,

On the fuel metering system I can acknowledge that topping the tank gives a huge puddle of fuel underneath the car. This is caused by the fuel sender being too long, but still is an original. Guess I put in another rubber ring to overcome the leaking.
The meter in my D then shows 3/4 to almost full when topped. A few miles down the road it starts dropping to 1/2. Cornering or stopping/taking off makes it behave like a drunk, but it comes back to normal quite quickly.

I took her out in the country with an American D owner and we made 276 Miles on the "full" tank before she started to stutter rounding corners. By that time the needle was far below "empty" and still showed no "low fuel" warning light (worked before). We even passed a tunnel while having almost no fuel left!

The "Ami" has the new baffle by John Hervey in his car and says the metering is more stable and when on low fuel the car keeps on going until the tank is empty.
My next purchase will be that baffle kit (no pump as that's still going).
Need to go in there anyway as the pump cover is deteriorating.

Perhaps the baffle kit is a good start for those that need to do work down there and want a better working fuel metering and delivery system?

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
oh thankyou for thats thats quite interesting i will take a look at that the next time i take car of road

thankyou
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
Quote:oh thank you for that. That's quite interesting i will take a look at that the next time i take car of road

Driving continuously, are you?
If so, you are like the Flying Dutchman and soon will be a ghost driver. :lol:

FYI the baffle kit consists of a kind of can with holes at the lower end of the side. The "can" fits snugly to the pump thus preventing collapsing of the fuel screen inside the can. Better system than the original solution. Material is SS and if additonal components (clamps, boot support bracket etc) are also of that material, there will be no more rust sensitive parts inside the tank.
I also got the advice to purchase some extra filter screens for future replacement.
Go over the list at Hervey's site and see what you need for the job.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
Interesting stuff Welmoed, thats definately something I'll
look into getting when Flopsy comes home in January.
Hang out the flag then, are you?
From what I read on the forum I guess there was a lot to be done to keep Flopsy going.
Fortunately my D has now passed over 6000 Miles since the purchase and never left me in the breakdown lane.
Drove her (has no name - yet -) to the big lake and took a picture there (IMO it's a nice season picture).

Welmoed.

[Image: deloreanonice.jpg]
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
WelmoedJ Wrote:Hang out the flag then, are you?
From what I read on the forum I guess there was a lot to be done to keep Flopsy going.

hiya,

well in addition to the accident repairs, she's having a full exterior restoration, plus a few other
jobs - and I said to Chris and Darren to take their time with her and fit her in around other work.

Cant wait to see her again tho! Big Grin
Driving constantly car in use every day

i seemed to find if ya dont use them the cars actually get worse off

they such a better car for being used daily and i mean going back and forth to work and i go on holidays too

my motor was`nt that good when i first bought it but now its used more than what the last owner did

i think the car has got better either that or i have just got more used to it

but a def look at that list

cheers
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....