Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FUEL SENDER UNIT IN TANK
hi there i was wondering if any one has upgraded or updated there fuel sender unit in the petrol tank

my old one keeps telling me i empty when i got a quarter of a tank left i was wondering has this prob been sorted out on the newer ones before i decide to renew mine

i might renew it any way but just wanted some feedback on this before i did decide to change it

cheers

tony
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
YOUR MUMMA WAS A SNOW BLOWER!!!.....
well tony i have a new tankzilla in mine and when i accelerate it goes to empty from half a tank in 5 seconds, we had a discussion on these a while back and the reason may be the shape of the tank so if its ok dont worry about changing it TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
oh i see well you one do sound quite extreme on that it is an annoying thing
its one of those things that gets at ya after a while to be honest mine does look like its been there a long while but as ya say its working so leave it
i not noticed mine go down that quick

ok thankyou for that
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
well maybe the tankzilla's arn't as good as they are cracked up to be Cry TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hi Tony,

Changed my sender this weekend. took about 30 mins. Got to put fuel in now cos the little light's now working!

It's a doddle, take out the mat and spare wheel, remove about 10 screws on the cover panel and its right in front of you.

I got a big monkey wrench from B & Q to undo the ring nut, replaced the sender and the rubber seal. The best price was from DMC Texas, postage took 3 days!

For the time it took and the re-assurance a new sender gives I'd change yours without a second thought.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
oh right its just i was looking on a delorean parts shop i think it was special autos not sure they had a updated/mod sender unit it was about 90 dollors i think i cant remember now i just wondered it it cured certain probs but if not then i will leave well alone
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
The DMC unit was slightly different to the stock/original one. My old one looked all of it's 26 years of age. Not sure if it's an upgrade or just 21st century manufacture.

One things for sure it works.

I suppose you pays yer money yer take your chance.

Hope it works out for you either way

D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
hm yeah thats true also

i try not to worry about the cost i mean the end of the day wat your car needs it gets right
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
like the Firebird!

Was in the US in 1985, rented a new firebird for a couple of weeks, drove the East coast right down to the Keys.

Epic.

D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
oh this ones a 82 its a rear pontiac firebird instead of the more common transam firebird same car but with different bits and bobs
you can only do knight rider project with 82 to 84 trans am or pontiac firebird its something to do with later type of dash parts or something they changed bits and bobs later on mines half way to becoming a kitt car i still got loads to do but its all money and time really i would have liked to get a blues brothers car and a ghostbusters motor to get a full set but its getting to costly for me as it is i cant seem to make my mind up what to get the pontiac firebirds ok but again not enough storage space for all my crap thts half the probs also cause i like useing them and trying to sort out and do up all at once and it never works out also i getting to the point of no return you sort of gotta finish before ya can sell
REG DMJ 287X
CLUB MEM. NO. 554
VIN NO. 05583

HEY LAZER LIPS!!!....
There's a couple of Blues Brothers cars down here on the sauf coast, seen quite regularly at the Goodwood Breakfast club.

I think theres a matt black caddy hearse too!

Theres also a Starsky & Hutch Torino. Put that with Brian's Back to the Future Delorean and we've got pretty much everything down here.

As you like the movie cars, I can tell you a small tale, thats small not tall, about the Adam West/Burt Ward Batmobile.

My dad painted it yellow (water soluble paint) in the late 1970's for a TV ad on behalf of Dagenham batteries !
I was the only kid at school with a genuine Batmobile at home for a couple of days!

D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I've got a DMCH fuel sender in mine - wish I hadnt wasted my money... Sad

Got a Saab sender and Tankzilla to experiment with tho, so I'll see if thats
any better. Mind you, when funds allow, the fuel tank is coming out to be
replaced with a 60 litre LPG tank........... :wink: Big Grin :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
So what is a transam firebird like to own ? i know its an open ended question but it was my second choice after the D Smile
I have DMCH fuel sender in mine ...it is better than nothing... apart from the constant leak from it being 'too long' and its notchy reading .... the even newer 'inproved one' is 'better' ( but only just from what i have been told )
I think mine is the original. It goes off the scale when full and then after around 45 miles starts progressively dropping. When I have covered around 200-220 miles it reads near empty and the orange fuel light starts to flicker on. When it is around 1/6th from bottom hard acceleration/braking can distort the reading briefly but it settles back correctly quite quickly. Although it has these quirks, you could set your watch by it for its consistency. Like the oil pressure gauge it is purely calibration that prevents it from being perfect. At least the voltage and temperature gauges are calibrated like modern cars Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed