Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on fitting new windscreen
Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

Well, I am finally getting my new windscreen fitted tomorrow! Big Grin

However, in order to carry out the work, I have to take the car to the windscreen company as they cannot provide a mobile service.

I am ok with this as it's only a 1/2 hour drive, and it sounds like they are going to take the time and do a thorough job, which is nice to know.

Anyway, the one problem with this is, that I can't be there to watch/help/advise them with the job.

Therefore, I would appreciate some good advice from you guys that have had this job done before, as I realise there are probably some things to take into consideration. So I can give them some tips and leave them to it.

For example; Does the T-bar need to come off to do this job and if so how do you remove it?

Is there any cosmetics that are required before/during/after the job. I have somewhere about the top rail and side finishers? Also, if it helps the screen that's in there at the minute is NOT an original.

Last but not least, the car is going to remain at the fitters overnight. Is it best to advise them to leave the doors up or closed so the new screen can settle?

If anyone has any other good advice, I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance. Big Grin
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Carl Hammond Wrote:Anyway, the one problem with this is, that I can't be there to watch/help/advise them with the job.

Hi Carl

FWIW : My Advice

I wouldnt want to leave my car with someone who has not done the job on a D before. They wont let you stay or you havent got the time to?
The external weather stripping around the screen needs to be #carefully# removed to gain access to the self tappers holding the 3 windscreen surounds on.

Windscreen will need to be carefully cut out/ removed to avoid damaging the dash and the other interior trim. Something im sure they are familair with Smile

Has the guy doing it any experience of attaching windscreens to fibreglass bodies ? The screens were origionally attached to the car by adhesive 'on a roll' to ensure the correct thickness of sealant .

Make sure the two clips on the lower edge of the screen are in place with the 'buffer' . i have heard of screen cracking at this point afterwards.

Perhaps See NickTs thread ?

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675
Hi Mike,

That's sound advice, thanks buddy. Smile

Well, they haven't actually said I can't stay to watch them do the job.

Having said that, I don't know how much help I would be, as I still don't have all that much knowledge or experience with a job like this! Although I would be able to tell straight away if there was any damage caused! Shock

Unfortunately, it's another one of 'those jobs' that you have no choice but to trust and leave it in the hands of the 'experts'.

Trouble is some of my faith has been lost in these experts, after the complete nightmare I had with Quick-fit when fitting the new tyres! Cry
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Carl Hammond Wrote:Unfortunately, it's another one of 'those jobs' that you have no choice but to trust and leave it in the hands of the 'experts'.

Trouble is some of my faith has been lost in these experts, after the complete nightmare I had with Quick-fit when fitting the new tyres! Cry

Yes 'experts' ..... even if you cant help , you being there will make him work 'more carefully'

Can you remove the exterior weatherseal and 3 trims before you go? Rather than risk them ripping them off !

These could probably do with a paint anyway?

Just close the doors carefully when you leave just so not to shock the curing of the adhesive.

Whats the story at quick fit ? !!!
Hi Carl,

The fitters are welcome to give us a call if they need any advice on what to remove or how to remove it. And we can get the strip adhesive if they need it (but they should be OK on that count).

If the worst happens and it breaks - we have a spare screen sitting here in reserve.

Let us know how you get on - best advice is for them to take their time and as Mike said - use strip adhesive rather than loads of glue - as the fibreglass body moves a little more than a normal car.

Best regards

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Some Quick-Fits I've been to have been excellent (the Lancaster one springs to mind, they know their stuff there), and some I wouldn't trust to tie their own shoelaces (Grays).
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=screen
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
hi i have a few tips as i watched/helped mine in a few weeks ago.

mine was glued in and if i look down on the inside of the screen i can see the glue a little.
so perhaps it should be a strip?. once its on the road if mine has to come out agin or replaced then so be it!.

as far as i know, once in its best to leave the doors closed, and let the resin set.

he had about and an hour to adjust it. now i'll cut off the excess around the edge and put the finishers back on.

i removed all the edge strips myself. and as the screws were rusty i had to drill some out.

i also had to drill out some on the top of the screen. and i removed the wipers and fly screen.

Personally if i were you i would removed all these myself.
if you are lucky a couple of hours with a phillips screwdriver.

let me know if you need any more assistance
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know, the windscreen fitters did a cracking job (no pun intended), the new screen looks ace! Big Grin

It was nice to see the guys listened carefully, took on board the advice, took their time and did a thorough job.

In fact, it was 10 times better than the last screen replacement. They even put some nice black backing strips around the edging to hide the fibreglass nicely, looks very stylish.

So, all in all very pleased with the end result and I can highly recommend RAC Auto windscreens to do the job.

Thanks again for everybodys excellent help and advice it is thoroughly appreciated, this really is a great club to be in! Big Grin
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk