Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust sealant - recommended type?
I removed my cat over the weekend - bolts were easy peasy with a little heat.

I'm ready to install the bypass, but wonder what sealant compund i should use on the gasket end (and also the muffler clip end?) - I've never messed with exhausts before :oops:

cheer me dears!
Barzo
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
you can get an exhaust putty from Halfrauds, et all - cant remember the name, but it comes in a red tube with either silver or white writing from memory.

You wont need much though - in fact, I dont think I've got any on my car, it was "just" a case of put the bypass pipe on, put the U clamp on and the gasket (mine matched up to a Daewoo when I took my bypass pipe into Partco!), put the bolts and nuts on, get the toolbox out and be prepared to swear alot getting the bugger to line up Big Grin

Have fun! :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
from memory, there were certain by-pass pipes that needed the lip ground off, just to let you know cheers tt
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
If your talking about the end with the square flange on ? Didnt you get a purpose made gasket with it ? You can buy gasket material to make your own up or go with the putty as kindly suggested above Smile
thanks for the replies. Smile

I got a gasket with it, I just wanted to know whether I need to compliment the paper gasket with a sealant.

I already had a go at lining up the bypass...didn't seem to want to fit. :wink: :? Smile
- Dave Smith

In that case you only need the gasket on the flange end, the other end just clamps on 'snugly'. test fit this end first to make sure it doesnt need 'braying' in.

If the flanged end doesnt fit properly you will have to, as suggested above, cut the lip off.

Where did you get your bypass pipe from bud?
Holland's Steady Eddy Smile
- Dave Smith

Ordinary silicone sealer works bang on. I know its probably not the first thing you would think of, me neither, but all the companies who manufacture the bike exhaust I supply, use it when they put them together.
I've used it loads of times on various stuff since & it works a treat. (You would thinkit would melt, but it does'nt)
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
will the semi hardening red hamerite do? same stuff i use on my rocker gaskets? Smile

Dave.
- Dave Smith

bozzzydmc Wrote:In that case you only need the gasket on the flange end, the other end just clamps on 'snugly'. test fit this end first to make sure it doesnt need 'braying' in.

If the flanged end doesnt fit properly you will have to, as suggested above, cut the lip off.

Where did you get your bypass pipe from bud?

ah. just re-read your post. cheers - I'll try without.
- Dave Smith