Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caliper Rebuild
Hi all,

Can anyone help?

I am rebuilding my brake calipers, I have the new seal kits, but there is no grease with them.

Does anyone know the name for the grease that goes inside the caliper and around the piston?
This grease stops corrosion and helps the movement of the pistons.

It is not copper grease, as this is used on the outside only, at the brake shoes to stop squeel.

Thanks,

Conor
Conor Doyle
DOC 519
VIN 10447 & 1866
I think your Talking about the Red Rubber Grease for hydraulic systems.

Thats what it's called and Halfords or any motorfactor can get it in tins.

Dan
Thanks Dan,

I will pick some up.

Brakes for the weekend!

Conor
Conor Doyle
DOC 519
VIN 10447 & 1866
Hello everybody, and may I wish everybody a happy new year for 2008. I've decided that after a year of decorating that I'm get at least one of those cars on the road this year so I can attend event's under my own steam and not keep ponsing lifts of poor old Tony, I do owe him loads of lifts but I'm sure we can come to some arrangement because we are sharing a room at Gettysburg and I'm taking the vasaline with me.
Anyway, does anyone know the seal kit numbers for the rear brake calipers, I've tried both the part numbers listed in this topic on the web but I keep drawing a blank ( but I'm not firing blanks though ), so I wondered if any of you nice people might have an up to date part number? cheers J.
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
Conor Doyle Wrote:Hi all,
Can anyone help?
I am rebuilding my brake calipers, I have the new seal kits, but there is no grease with them.
Conor

Conor,

Just out of interest where did you get your caliper service kit from?

Thanks

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi If it helps I got mine from Jag Breakers in Manchester. Speak to Neil on 0161 723 4630 he is spot on. I had similar problems when trying to sourse mine. According to him, the calipers which Delorean used where destined for Jaguar Limo's, not standard cars, so they seem to have a slightly larger piston diameter.
Regards Julian
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Cheers Julian, I shall give him a call tomorrow. To be honest I've just rebuilt the fronts and they've come up like new, the car has only done 15k but because it's been sitting around for the last decade the brakes have just binded up. All I've done with the fronts is blew the pistons out with an air line, washed the caliper housing and the pistons in parafin, replaced the seals and then reassembled them. Their is no corrison to the chrome on the pistons at all. Anyway once again cheers for the info.
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
[quote="delorean12uk"] All I've done with the fronts is blew the pistons out with an air line[quote]

I made a bit of a gadget, I drilled throught a grease nipple, then attached a valve from a bicyle inner tube to it and now you can pump them out with a foot pump.
It works a treat.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
When I did mine, I removed the brake pads before unbolting the callipers, and just pumped then until they nearly came out, then worked them out later, very easily with a pair of mole grips (on the edge). I have done two car sets and they were fine. I re-yellow zinced the bodies and re-chromed the pistons and all worked fine. Having said that, there was a chap at last years NEC who does full overhauls of your own one for about £25 each! Very cheap I thought.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian