Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living the dream...at last!
Hi everyone,

Well it has finally happened! Big Grin

After 5 years of waiting (sometimes not so patiently) and saving up, Alex and I are proud to say that we have become the owners of VIN11777 a 1982 Grey Auto DeLorean DMC12, and it feels absolutely incredible!

We picked our D up on Saturday after a lengthy and very wet trek up to Lancashire. The car isn't quite roadworthy yet so we had to trailer it back home to Norfolk. Well I thought I was going to be prepared for this experience, but the journey home was just amazing! We had people going past beeping their horns, sticking their camera phones out of the window, and just generally lots of smilling, even had our first "wheres your flux capacitor" moment whilst in a petrol station! :roll:

I knew the car would draw a lot of attention but it still blew me away! I guess it's something that will just never cease to amaze me! Big Grin

After about 6 hours we eventually arrived home and then came my first experience behind the wheel of the DMC which involved driving her off a narrow trailer and then maneuvering it into a very tight garage. That was fun to say the least! Shock

We now have a bit of work to do before we can get her out onto the open road, but have set ourselves a target for Eurotech 2008! 8)

I have to say a huge thanks to my mate Alan Hammond for his superb advice and expertise in helping me to find the right car. Also, a big thanks to Nick Birch for everything, including the very difficult job of reversing the car onto the trailer, and then helping to tie and secure her down for the long journey home. It was difficult for me to express my emotions that day as I know how much love you still have for the car, but rest assured I will take good care of her mate. :wink:

Also, Alex and I just wanted to thank every one of you who has helped us, lent their advice, support and encouragement to us since joining the club. You have helped us to 'live our dream!'

Finally, I think the below piccie just about sums up how we feel and what it really means to us... Big Grin

[Image: IMG_2731.jpg]

Best regards

Carl & Alex Hammond

DOC361
VIN#11777 (How good does that feel!)
guys, we're so chuffed for you.......... haha, that trip to Gaydon in 2004(?) when I was trying to convince Alex that you getting a D was a good idea.... :lol:

so pleased you're finally 'living the dream' - ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Claire, thanks, I still can't quite believe it myself, I have to keep going out to my garage just to look at it! Big Grin

Lol, I remember Gaydon, seems so long ago now! :lol:

Totally worth the wait, the feeling of owning a D is amazing!

Seriously though, there's no question that you made Alex feel more welcome to the club that day and ever since which I really appreciate, and now she absolutely loves the car and the club to bits! Big Grin

Ahhh look at her little face!

[Image: IMG_2739-1-1.jpg]

Kind regards

Carl

Carl Hammond
DOC361
VIN11777 (how good does that feel!) Big Grin
ahhhhhhh......... my work here is done......... Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hi

congrats...looks a nice car.

i've heard (not tried) that reversing in is easier, but watch for that crunch on an open door.

i have about 1/2 inch clearance on the mirrors, and aquired a cheap full length mirror to lean on the back wall of the garage to help.

i can also only open one door, so have carpeted the two walls just in case.

why don't they make garages 6 inches bigger?
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Nice one carl Smile im pleased for you, dont forget though any thing you need put it up on the forum, we all have a wealth of info on parts and tips.
good luck, and at least you saw the car before you brought it , unlike me and a few others Sad best regards TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hi Steve,

Thanks mate, yes we have what Chrispy would say 'the makings of a very good car' there. Most of the work is done, mainly cosmetics to do, so no hurry on that side of things just do a bit at a time. The most important thing now is to get her ready for MOT and out on the road, give her that new lease of life shes been craving! Big Grin

Don't get me started again with modern garages! My garage compared to my Dad's is tiny! Trouble is those centre pillars, we don't just have 1 of them we have TWO of the bloody things, and they're right where the doors would meet! So, you can only drive in so far in order to get out, which then means you have to push the car the rest of the way in! To say it is a snug fit is an understatement! :roll:

The mirrors sound like a good idea though, might have to try that out.

Cheers matey! :wink:

Best regards

Carl
Hi Tony! Big Grin

Yeah thanks mate, already making quite a long list of things to do, I may be pestering you all sooner than you think! :oops:

As mentioned above, I owe an awful lot to my good buddy Alan, as he was happy to travel to Blackburn with us and go through the car inside out to make sure it was a goodie! I quite simply couldn't have done this without him.

Infact, I consider myself extremely fortunate that the car came up at exactly the right time for me, maybe it was just meant to be! Big Grin

Best regards

Carl
I have a similar problem as I have one pillar on the left had side just at the point where I want to open the door. Luckily I don't have a pillar on the right so when I drive the car over to the right I can still swing the passenger door pillar up and miss the pillar (carpet underlayed just in case).

It is so hard to find modern garages that will accommodate anything that will comfortably accommodate a modern small car.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hi Chris,

I know, ironically the D is probably one of the very few cars that you can actually drive into a modern garage and still have the room (albeit slightly awkwardly!) to get out! Shock

We may have the option of moving one of the pillars from the inside to the outside, which would then allow me to drive the car all the way in and get out, but probably should consult a builder on that one first! :wink:

Best regards

Carl
Nice one !

NickT.
The pillar is purely a buttress to keep the wall rigid. If you have concrete/solid ground on the other side of the garage wall then the builder might be able to move it onto the other side of the wall due to the already established solid ground. The other possible option would be to have two pillars spaced evenly in the garage which could still mean the removal of the existing door fowling one.

I heard a little while back that there was finally some legislation put in place stating that a garage width had to be at least a 'certain width' which is still tight. The general rule of thumb for me is that if you have at least 1.5 brick widths on either side of the standard single width door then the car will fit (no need to fold in the mirrors) and allow one door to be opened.

When we upgrade to a larger house, hopefully next year I know that there will be loads of houses that will have to be missed due to the garage being too narrow (i.e. no better than the current one) or not viable for widening.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hi Nick!

Cheers matey, believe it or not you played a part too! I'll never forget at Lotus when you threw your keys at me and said "go on have a go then!" you really made my day mate! Although, I'm not sure about Glen, his face was an absolute picture as he sat next to me and I said to him you do realise that this is my first experience of driving a DeLorean! Luckily we had the whole car park to play in! :lol:

Oh, and I think the ol NickT charm won Alex over to the car and the club too! :wink:

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Carl Hammond Wrote:Hi Nick!

Cheers matey, believe it or not you played a part too! I'll never forget at Lotus when you threw your keys at me and said "go on have a go then!" you really made my day mate! Although, I'm not sure about Glen, his face was an absolute picture as he sat next to me and I said to him you do realise that this is my first experience of driving a DeLorean! Luckily we had the whole car park to play in! :lol:

Oh, and I think the ol NickT charm won Alex over to the car and the club too! :wink:

Best regards

Carl

I remember you asking me loads of questions about the car when we were driving round the track, I had to let you have a go to shut you up !
Only joking Big Grin
Glad you have got one, now go and enjoy it.

NickT.
Congratulations! I really have to try to finish saving up for mine!
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748