Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing outer door seals.
I've just received some replacement seals for my doors.

They're the outer door seals that I'm interested in replacing.

I got the ones from Hervey which came with the sticky back plastic on the backs of them (which I'm not too keen on). the originals which I removed look to have been installed with something like tiger seal.
What did you guys use to stick the seals onto the body?

I have a feeling that positioning of these things is critical if they're to (i) allow the door to shut properly (ii) form a proper seal against the door and prevent weather penetration.

Any advice before I proceed with installation?

Barzo
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
I am looking at changing mine over in the future too and one thing I have learnt is that if you are changing the old ones due to splits in the rubber then there is a good chance that the new ones will split in the same places. This is due to the area that they are fitting to being to 'proud' and therefore stressing/compressing the rubber too much when the door is closed down onto the seal.

As yet I am not sure on how you know on how much to flatten off the problem area without going too far... Take too much off you get more wind noise and possibly leaks with it...

Anyone on here that has changed their seals a while back and still have no new tears/splits in their new door seals?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I changed mine just over 2 years ago and they are still like new, they were pre cut ones from PJ Grady. They fit a treat, and were quite easy to fit.I did find that waiting for the tiger seal to go off a bit helped as it was easier to shape round the curves, but you gotta keep an eye on them till they dry, cos they move very slowly cheers TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I found Ed Udings very good. There a different profile but they are so soft that they fit perfectly and dont rip.

Tiger Seal or Wurth's bond and seal are ideal for fitting them

Dan
Tourettes Tony Wrote:I changed mine just over 2 years ago and they are still like new, they were pre cut ones from PJ Grady. They fit a treat, and were quite easy to fit.I did find that waiting for the tiger seal to go off a bit helped as it was easier to shape round the curves, but you gotta keep an eye on them till they dry, cos they move very slowly cheers TT

Yes likewise i have Gradys on and found them to be a good fit and 'precut' well. My outers are the larger profile. Like Tony i stuck them on with Tiger seal PU and held mine up with duct tape. I wiped the seal and the stainless with meth spirit to ensure the duct tape stuck till the seal was dry.

Hardest part is making the outer seal stick where the top of the front wing meets the windscreen.

On my car the wing piece and the A pillar was origionally 2 pieces and i know Tony did a smashing job getting his to stick in one continual piece, i wasnt as clever so i cut my new piece into two again.

Will post a pic , if i get back in later ... just seen an Ark floating by .....
[Image: DSC01411DesktopResolution.jpg]

there .. thats the difficult bit imo