rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
ummmmmmm not many go for that

Nick Wrote:Not thinking of spending much. We want a real crap D that we can fix up!

Those are tooooooooo far out of our price range.

Maybe up to 4,500 pounds. MAYBE 5,000 pounds.
Nick
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
Hi nick

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joing the club Smile

Regards

Mike
Nick Wrote:Not thinking of spending much. We want a real crap D that we can fix up!

Those are tooooooooo far out of our price range.

Maybe up to 4,500 pounds. MAYBE 5,000 pounds.
Nick

welcome to the club but 4.5k is a bit low and to be honest if you do pick one up for that you will need about 8k to sort it out TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
[Image: garey1.jpg]
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
Hi-ya Nick, welcome to the club
At the moment I am unaware of any restoration projects/non-runners that are about, but when you are successful, any of us in the club will help you source parts and offer advice. we're a good community and I'm sure you will enjoy the Delorean car club UK. Look forward to speaking to you in the future, regards Jason.
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
LOL Jason!

You are so mean to poor Tony... what has he ever done to you Smile Smile

No second thoughts ....dont answer that Smile
i wouldnt want to change him for the world :lol: he makes me laugh and a really good bloke to have round, now wheres me valium :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hiya, and welcome to the nut house! Big Grin

Project cars, even those in the USA, dont crop up 'cheap' anymore it seems. I was 'lucky' with my car, I paid £2865 for it (in California) in 2002, and by the time I'd shipped it over and paid the import costs, etc, it owed me £4100. I've probably spent that again on it - and thats included having a lot of stuff donated, or scavenged, or having prototype stuff fitted by now defunct UK vendor DMUK.

I'm probably realisticially looking at spending at least another £2000 on the car to get the bodywork and interior up to scratch, and I could easily (if I had it! lol) spend about another grand on mechanical and electrical work and other odds'n'sods.

IMHO, I reckon you wont get much change out of £6-8K now for a project car - and if you factor in spending that again.... you might as well buy a decent one for £14-16k and do the jobs that need doing as and when.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
good luck mate, my dad and i are in the exact same position, got very close earlier this year with one that was for sale locally needing alot of work.

ive decided to do some hardcore saving for the next year or so and get one for the going rate. seems to be the only way.
i think clair is about right, you will need twice that budget for a project car, and you will most likely need to ship from the US.

add US transport, shipping, vat, and even transport here all adds up.

but bear in mind out of many classics, like minis etc...this is one car you can spend money on, and if you hit hard times, should recover it.

so a £7k car plus £7k restore should still be worth £14k or so, and not likely to decrease.

ignore classic mags when they print prices, and if they say parts are hard to get...you can get pretty much get everything either new, nos, or even halford stock (filters etc)
the only thing i have found that is like rocking horse poo are the seat adjust bars......mine are modified lotus epsrit.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi there,

Just a small warning. A 'non-driving/alot of work car' seems a cheap solution. But it isn't cheap at all! A car in 'bad' condition mostly has alot of 'hidden' problems. You start to solve one problem, and you encounter more. It doesn't stop.

I bought my car fairly cheap. Around 9000 GBP. But then it starts. You do want a good Delorean. So you start of with tires, brakes, brakepads, brakecylinder, oil lines, a/c compressor, galvanised frame, electrical upgrades, cooling upgrades, removing dents, interior upgrades, refurbishments... well the list is endless. Almost everything on my car has been replaced. With the additional money spent, I could've bought myself 2 new Deloreans!

All the parts are easy to get. But they still cost money. Not to mention the hours you put into that car.

It's better to spend some more in the beginning and enjoy driving straight away. While my car was down (again), i saw other owners enjoying their Delorean for just a few 1000's more.
Laurent Wery
www.laurentwery.com
Delorean DMC-012
Vin #3177