Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Social Media Secretary!
Exclamation 
Hi all,

The Club has expanded its Social Media presence in recent weeks - although
we will be ditching Twitter/X - personally, for me, its just become a cesspit of
hatred, intolerance, racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc, and I no longer want
to be associated with it, and I will be deleting the Club's Twitter account shortly.

We are now active on:

YouTube
Threads
Facebook
Instagram
TikTok

just search 'DeLorean Owners Club UK' in any of those sites and we'll come up - we
are new on Threads & Instagram, and we are gradually building our content on there.

This gives me the job of announcing a new member to the DOC-UK Team!!

We are delighted to announce that William Bollands has stepped up to be our new 
Social Media Secretary and he will be our main contact - I'll help with Instagram and 
Threads, and I'll continue to be the main admin on the Facebook page, but that's basically
because I set it up via my own personal Facebook page about 10+yrs ago.

So, thank you to William for stepping up to this, it's great to have a younger member getting 
involved and dragging the Club into the modern age lol

There is still a new website being developed, hopefully discussions with the web builder about
that will happen over the NEC Weekend, but that is an ongoing WIP.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
That's great news, He's done some cracking videos for the you tube channel. What's threads though!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(31 Oct 2023, 22:34)Chris Williams Wrote: That's great news, He's done some cracking videos for the you tube channel. What's threads though!

Threads is the Meta (Facebook) alternative to Twitter. It can link to Instagram and Facebook too.
thank you for giving me the opportunity of being the social media secretary, I know this has been discussed in the past about bringing the club up to date with a new webpage and to try and bring in a younger audience to the car and the club.

TikTok is a bit more of a work in progress, but I will be uploading to it over the NEC weekend to get that going.

Im somewhat still experimenting with stuff over on YouTube, that's partly why there are huge gaps between videos  Tongue but now that most of the work to my car is done I can shift my focus to filming more.

but we'll find what works for each platform as each of the 3 new ones gets going (Tiktok, Instagram and threads)
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Personally I am only using 2 forms of Social Media.....this website and WatsApp.

I like WatsApp because you can send photo's instantly and its private and only for invited members. No Dickheads.....(mind you..not if you happen to be a politician)!!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Whatsapp isn't social media, but with groups made up within that platform, it can be considered similar, at least for those within the group.

I've tried to encourage people to use Whatsapp for this likes of a tech group approach, as we all know that when we're in the realms of a tech exercise or having tech problems with our cars, if we want to share information, or seek support from others on that sort of subject, then we sometimes need/want something much more immediate than trying to use the forum here, which is much slower. I've experienced mixed responses from others, leading to that sort of thing dying a death again fairly quickly again.
The Facebook groups work in the same way, but with a much wider audience, but much less control of who's there to comment (some people are there for the spam rather than to be helpful etc). At the end of the day though, they're there, and they do mostly work, and you do often get a result from a question or query in a fairly prompt manner, all be it inconsistently due to timezone differences etc around the world. Despite all this, i'd say i've had better results from Facebook compared to attempts at Whatsapp, but if there was something more official for the club in Whatsapp, and people's attitude changed a bit to make that work better, then Whatsapp in my opinion could be a great thing to bring the DOC club family closer together in the modern day.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(02 Nov 2023, 12:03)Rissy Wrote: Whatsapp isn't social media, but with groups made up within that platform, it can be considered similar, at least for those within the group.

I've tried to encourage people to use Whatsapp for this likes of a tech group approach, as we all know that when we're in the realms of a tech exercise or having tech problems with our cars, if we want to share information, or seek support from others on that sort of subject, then we sometimes need/want something much more immediate than trying to use the forum here, which is much slower.  I've experienced mixed responses from others, leading to that sort of thing dying a death again fairly quickly again.
The Facebook groups work in the same way, but with a much wider audience, but much less control of who's there to comment (some people are there for the spam rather than to be helpful etc).  At the end of the day though, they're there, and they do mostly work, and you do often get a result from a question or query in a fairly prompt manner, all be it inconsistently due to timezone differences etc around the world.  Despite all this, i'd say i've had better results from Facebook compared to attempts at Whatsapp, but if there was something more official for the club in Whatsapp, and people's attitude changed a bit to make that work better, then Whatsapp in my opinion could be a great thing to bring the DOC club family closer together in the modern day.

the closest thing that could work well is a Discord server due to having many ways to configure its similar to the forum with threads but also with voice chat and text chat which for those of us who know and use it could be a viable option for fast communication. but for those who have never seen or heard of it, would be a less used alternative  Confused but still worth considering in the future

it also seems Facebook groups introduced a chat function which on the "DeLorean fanatics" group gets hit with a bot account every so often posting spam due to poor moderation.

in terms of a WhatsApp group, I know David Abrahams set up a group with D owners from all over the world but has been inactive since the 8th of August, plus we'd need some way of securing it due to it needing phone numbers (i know its not an issue among us personally) but some kind of data protection form would need agreeing to for it to be an official club group chat for any and all members.

i suppose we could try setting up a vote across the platforms to see what is a favourable communication route among the people?

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
As you know I'd be up for a DOC Whatsapp group. Not necessarily for multiple daily communications but for the odd thing. For example, requests to do events etc which are beyind my own range etc etc.

The advantage of forums is of course that everything is findable and archived. Whenever you encounter a problem, it is often documented here as many people have probably encountered it before.

The facebook groups - people just ask the same questions over and over - What grade of oil, which fuse etc etc. Very tiresome after a while to anyone who has been on for a long perod of time. I'd not want a Whatsapp group to become that, when that sort of information is all documented here and elsewhere.

But for a way to get messages out to all parties - I think it'd work.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
WhatsApp chat history is entirely searchable by key words, and you also have the facility to flag messages if you want to specially refer to them later on again.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I think it'd be worth setting one up for the majority, im just not sure if we'd need to put something out for data protection of people's numbers.

Also id suggest having it so only paying members can have access, this would reduce the likelihood of spam. So they'd have to provide their club membership number and whatever else might be necessary to verify them.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Just in case, for additional information, Facebook is also searchable for keywords under specific groups. People posting repeatedly about the same questions could be avoided IF people understood that they can search for particular subject keywords, and most likely find their answer without having to repeat the same old questions over and over. Inherently though, people are lazy, and they just want to ask their own questions, and get personalised responses to their own issue, maybe thinking that this issue is somewhat unique to them and has never been discussed before by others. Or they just don't know they could search like they can do on forums.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I've found this fascinating, and I think groups specific to paid up members is a great idea - especially as
I'll sometimes get a message on a FB post saying "I had no idea about this" after the event, despite it being
advertised on the FB page.

I agree, as a registered FHBVC Club, we have to be careful to cross t's and dot i's regarding GDPR, etc.

But yes, for quick answers to tech questions, reminders about events, etc, then a DOC-UK WhatsApp is a great idea,
but I'll have to leave it to those who know about such things to set them up, administer, etc.

Definitely something to discuss at the AGM on Sunday afternoon.
(06 Nov 2023, 13:35)Guinney1971 Wrote: I've found this fascinating, and I think groups specific to paid up members is a great idea - especially as
I'll sometimes get a message on a FB post saying "I had no idea about this" after the event, despite it being
advertised on the FB page.

I agree, as a registered FHBVC Club, we have to be careful to cross t's and dot i's regarding GDPR, etc.

But yes, for quick answers to tech questions, reminders about events, etc, then a DOC-UK WhatsApp is a great idea,
but I'll have to leave it to those who know about such things to set them up, administer, etc.

Definitely something to discuss at the AGM on Sunday afternoon.

I think making it a members-only thing would be a huge help in moderation, especially for important topics, and help keep Rifraf and spam bots out.
an open chat section (non-paid members) is also good for everyone to enjoy but would require a couple of people to semi-monitor just in case but still worth having, keeps it inclusive for everyone

unlike the DCUK or fanatics FB messenger group chat's which are hardly monitored so malicious messages get through (spam/phishing or malware)

I have been working on 2 test platforms: Whatsapp communities and a discord server that I can demonstrate at the AGM so we can all work out what would be the best route to go

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Quote:regarding GDPR, etc.
To be fair, were quiet good on that compared to a lot of clubs, the privacy policy on the website and club rules that have been posted out with any new joiner for at least the last 10 years cover us for GDPR. I have done a fair bit of training regarding compliance around this (yes I do have to do this stuff)! I can certainly add our whats app DOC member groups to any letters sent out on joining or we can advertise it via the mag. Just so long as I can add/delete club members as required.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
You could simply just send an invite to all the numbers you hold. It's then up to the recipient whether they choose to join or not, simple as that.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126