Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
Yeah I thought as much so just did a holding job for now :-)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Looking good mate, though I still think a new chassis would have been the best route!  Big Grin  How does the rest of the chassis look?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
It's coming on beautifully, there are lots of repair sections under professional fabrication and I've seen some regular updates of the ongoing work which I'll share once it's finished. I'm very happy with the results, and it'll still be 'my' car when it's done - I think I would have struggled to convince myself it was fully my car if it had a replacement chassis, and this way will also work out a fair bit less. Also the new chassis are made to order, not off the shelf, so the lead times would have been very similar.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I can see both points of view here. I tend to think more like Richard. When faced with all the stuff that needed sorting on MGJ, my first choice was to get things restored. Water pump via Dave H, brake servo's, etc. At the same time I'm happy to upgrade to better technology of Safety.  The chassis is a big chunk of the car, and a safely item....it needs to be right and I'm sure it will be now.

I'm happy keeping my slightly dented and marked stainless panels...i'm not having them 'perfected' by Chris N.    Much like the front and rear facias ...they really need re-painting, but they look pretty reasonable and are stopping as they are. 

Future generations and owners can make their own choices.       Things are only 'original' once.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yeah, that was my feeling... It is being restored in the same jigs as the new ones are built in, using fabrications from the same supplier, so effectively it will be as new, but retaining the good sections of my original chassis, with various improvements including a complete new front frame extension, which was worse than anticipated, so we elected to replace it completely. Apparently these have previously been replaced with the body in-situ by some owners ?. That must take some doing and no idea how you would get to weld the top on properly.

I'm presently coming down on the side of galvanising it afterwards...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Yeah, that was my feeling... It is being restored in the same jigs as the new ones are built in, using fabrications from the same supplier, so effectively it will be as new, but retaining the good sections of my original chassis, with various improvements including a complete new front frame extension, which was worse than anticipated, so we elected to replace it completely. Apparently these have previously been replaced with the body in-situ by some owners ?. That must take some doing and no idea how you would get to weld the top on properly.

I'm presently coming down on the side of galvanising it afterwards...
Ahh right so it's over in Norfolk being done by the chap you met at the NEC then? Is he happy for his contact details/company details to be posted on this forum to help others in a similar situation as yours or whom may be after a new frame? 
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
He seemed a very nice and capable you man....Didn't seem tied to anyone, just trying to use his skills to make a living...But I'm sure Richard knows more than me......
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yeah, he's spot on, and doing some great work. I'll share more when it gets to the end and I can post some 'before and afters'.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Spot of engine rebuilding while the chassis is away!!    

This is a few weeks ago. Thanks again to Mr Hutchinson!!        

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
That looks absolutally lovely....Richards....not over the top, just spot on. Factory fresh.

I now realise how much easier it must be to get it looking good, when you can get all the way around it. Smile

It makes me think again about setting-to with my spare (but not running) engine....the one I removed from Frenchy, many years ago.   Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks very much Chris! I still need to do a similar tidy up around the autobox and transmission cooler. Exhaust manifolds also still to fit, skimmed nice and flat and ready to go.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I'll deffo be interested in speaking to the chassis refurb dude when the time comes, although I cant see work starting on #2292 anytime soon. This will be another year of building work, maybe we'll be able to start stripping in down next year. Its been of the road for 3 1/2 years, another couple won't make any difference........
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie

Hi Claire,
has my chum Iain been it touch yet? He's writing a story for a car mag about converting classics into Electric cars. He might like a chat with you and Phil. 

(my regular can doesn't need converting!)

Sorry to divert the thread..... Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
New exhaust studs, newly machined manifolds, brass hex nuts. Looking good!!        

The chassis, incidentally, is now away for blasting, galvanising and powder coating. Here it is with its new front frame extension :-))        

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Nice work on the chassis! What a lot of surface rust there!

Those are some LOOOONG manifold bolts you have there! Brass ones too! Where did you get them? And how long are your studs to accomodate those!?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)