Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN#6126 Chassis restoration
That was something to do with them being stored on Google Pictures (lots of them being phone images which automatically upload themselves) - then being transferred across to the computer, and it retains all the borders etc!  They are actually clickable within Google Pics but are obviously just part of the image now. Ho hum!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126

Live updates (First time I've had the phone capacity to be able to do this!!)

I've moved the steering to the rear
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
...you may have trouble with that rear wheel steering setup while at speed. Tongue
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Yeah I suppose it could be twitchy but hopefully the elastic bungees drop links will act as a shimmy damper!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Big Grin :-D
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
    Spot of engine work...

(Last night's photos, she's looking better still now...)

No evidence of corrosion within the V, thank goodness...

No snapped bolts either, and one small collection of treasures which had accumulated in the V over the years including a couple of anonymous-looking rubber caps, a bit of emery paper, two nuts, one washer, a fag-end, (I don't smoke so it ain't mine!!) and one of those hook/clip things lost from the throttle linkage.

It's also marked NZ. Or ZN depending which way you look at it. It's never been to New Zealand... Perhaps a previous engine builder's trademark?

Thanks to Rich Hutchinson for his help last night - it was anoter late one!!

Tonight I just continued painting the servo and cleaning things....

Have also ordered about £60-worth of replacement hoses, jubilee clips, O-rings etc etc. On top of various cleaners and brushes and the link. Probable aother £20 or thereabouts.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Are you taking the two stubby /water pump connections off Richard.?...mine were all clogged up underneath...gaskets are only pennies.
Looking really good
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Not a bad idea. Are they gaskets or o-rings under there?(like the y-pipe?)

Servo has dried. Looks the biz!!

Actually they're not bad..

Actually they're not bad..
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126

Paper, it just in case the gaskets leaks.....it does looks lovely inside compared to mine....but why not?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yep will get hold of a couple...

That is a bit of a state Chris, I think I've been relatively lucky in there...

Meanwhile I got my wheels back today too...

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I have indeed been very lucky. No block corrosion identified anywhere down here so far

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Richard,
I think that's the difference between one thats spent most of its time outside and one that hasn't .......mine is all good now after a long clean up......but any "would be buyers" certainly out to keep this in mind, when the are looking at cars.....i've been quite lucky, others may not be.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
When i did my VOD in 2015, I didn't touch the stubby hose connections. Just cleaned them up for new silicone hose to attach to. I didn't want to risk snapping the bolts off trying to remove them needlessly. They've never leaked, before VOD work or since...... so far. Although i'll admit that mine look as though they have thick asbestos seals on them or something....rather than thin flimsy paper ones.

Interesting you painted up your brake servo, AND on the car. Any reason?

I was going to clean mine up actually. So i removed it from the car along with the master cylinder. Then I separated the two. Lucky i did as the master was starting to go, and the servo was no longer giving me good vacuum performance. the main shaft seal was shot on it. So I changed them both out for new ones. I literally fitted them both to the car about 10 days ago or so. So we'll see how they go. I'll be interested to see how much my braking performance has been changed due to a new servo that isn't leaking like a sieve!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Just a tidyup on the Servo really, it had plenty of surface rust, but access will never be better to get round it and paint it. Gave it a good power wire brush first. There had been no leaks and I really wasn't in the mood to strip it any further at the moment. I don't know if you need to access the brake pedal end to extract it, but if so then I couldn't anyway, as I can't open the car doors at the moment because it is up against the ceiling!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Ah. Yes, you need to unbolt it from the inside as well as disconnect the linkage to the pedal (only necessary to unbolt from inside if you want to take the bridging bracket off too - which i did to give that a bit of a refurbish too)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):