Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Owners nearby
Hi All
Got the car in for its first MOT this week and all being well will get the paperwork off to DVLA. Have found out loads about the car while prepping it for the test, some good and some causes for concern. The car only has 5k on it so lots of storage in its history. I would really like to get a more experienced owner to take a look around it once on the road and get some insights, I am near to Northwich in Cheshire, are there any owners close to me?
Few owners not far away, Chris Jones, our own Club president Dave Howarth (details on website www.deloreans.co.uk) plus I'm sure many others.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
What are some of these concerns you gave?
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(18 Jun 2019, 22:28)DMC1983 Wrote: What are some of these concerns you gave?
The car has all the signs of long term storage, rock hard or perished rubber, cracking leather and so on. It also has really clean underneath and inside the wheel arches and what look like the original brake shoes. It also had some work done which looks like it was a non-runner, loads of fuel related parts are new as are all the coolant hoses. The biggest cause for concern currently is in the door jam on the passenger side, where the door hinge is fixed to the roof. The drivers side is in perfect condition but the passenger side has rust, it goes all the way across and is deep, looks like there has been water trapped in there and it has just eaten away at the metal. Looks like it might be a door off job but still looking into options. When I get the chance I will get a separate post up with some photos.
Sounds fairly normal for a 'sun-baked' car. Often they are good underneath which is a big plus point. Replacing water and fuel hoses is a sensible precaution in such circumstances.

The wheel arches always clean up lovely...give me a kitchen roll and a spray can on WD40 and I can make it look like new in half an hour. One of the joys of a fibre-glass underbody.

I'm a big fan of WD40 and buy it buy the gallon...spay it around liberally and it will help soften things up and free off rusted stuff.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:The car has all the signs of long term storage, rock hard or perished rubber, cracking leather and so on. It also has really clean underneath and inside the wheel arches and what look like the original brake shoes. It also had some work done which looks like it was a non-runner, loads of fuel related parts are new as are all the coolant hoses. The biggest cause for concern currently is in the door jam on the passenger side, where the door hinge is fixed to the roof. The drivers side is in perfect condition but the passenger side has rust, it goes all the way across and is deep, looks like there has been water trapped in there and it has just eaten away at the metal. Looks like it might be a door off job but still looking into options. When I get the chance I will get a separate post up with some photos
The joy's of old cars! just work through things one bit at a time, get it on the road and find out what else is broken/needs doing!
The roof box is a worry and may be a larger bill... but get it reliable and road worthy first.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584