Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got 11789 started !
On the week end I got vin~11789 started for the first time.

Had to rotate the distributor way past the "hold down" bolt so this afternoon I'll be taking it out and re seating the distributor, thereby re timing it (static).

Have all the meeting unit/ leads and fuel pipes off all ready, to do it the afternoon.

I had my mate Tim a retired Volvo mechanic on hand - he had just literally landed in the UK - after his holiday in Mexico.
I also had young Miles over from Bristol.

In all the excitement the guys (not me!! ) failed to attach the bar to the throttle spool and were wondering why it wouldn't rev up - dohhhh. Even in it's rudimentary condition it ticked over !!

A big step forward for me and goes someway to alleviating my fears on buying a project car that didn't / couldn't run !!

Will take the ubiquitous video this afternoon if all goes well :-)
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Excellent news!!!!

Well done Kevin.

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Great News Mr Murphy, I bet that was a satisfying moment especially when it ticked over.  

I admire the patience and detail you are putting into the restoration, next goal... That first drive!   Big Grin

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
(14 May 2018, 15:47)Stuart Rees Wrote: Great News Mr Murphy, I bet that was a satisfying moment especially when it ticked over.  

I admire the patience and detail you are putting into the restoration, next goal... That first drive!   Big Grin

Stu
It was satisfying - and driving it?  Yeah that will be something!! ... and a bit way off yet!

Satisfaction turned to frustration yesterday, when I took the induction system off to retime the D.

Yes it is technically possible to do it by wedging up the induction "stuff" - but getting "in" and "out" of the VOD is a piece of cake now!
- and makes getting to the distributor so much easier.

The distributor was 90° out and I reset it so the rotor arm pointed to the notch, the timing mark on the pulley lined up with 0°, the dowel I shoved down plughole 1 was at the top of it's travel .... and the mark on the flywheel showing thro the oval slot underneath the engine could be seen. The only thing I haven't done to prove TDC was the "bolt down the hole behind the water pump" trick.

I thought that after re assembly of everything the engine would now improve and rev up nicely?

Jumpered the relay and filled up the fuel lines, then plugged the relay back in ... on turning the key I made the school boy error of wondering WTF - why won't the starter turn over on the key?
Uhhhhh it's an auto Kev !!! Make sure it's not in gear?

Tried starting it and it did not want toi burst into life - plenty of fuel in the tank too.

So this Friday 
Check Static timing - again - using said "bolt" trick as well.
Check Spark
Check fuel through injectors

Don't forget I have :-
New tank
New Fuel pump
new coolant pipes
new radiator
new fans
new fuel lines 
new alternator
new battery
new cap/distributor/leads/plugs
new injectors 
new water pump/thermostat
screw in otterstat
...... and lots of other things done to the car I shouldn't be doing as I'm not retired yet, as my wife keeps pointing out !!!!
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Just a thought, I remember when I had the dizzy out in #2292 eon's ago, the 'bob weights' inside were
sticking and needed freeing up.

Although yours is a new one, so it *should* be ok.

When my car randomly decided not to start one day after being driven a mile down the road to the Post Office,
the RAC came out and after doing checks on whether the fuel pump was getting voltage or not, we found the
fuse had blown. Replaced that, and hey presto, it started.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie