Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prototype Rubber Extrusion Die
I have been clearing out my garage lately and came across this prototype rubber extrusion die.

I did my apprenticeship at a large American OEM automotive sealing systems manufacture. Standard Products Co. known as Silent Channel at the time of DeLorean. (now part of Cooper Tires)
We made rubber seals and body side mouldings for several manufactures e.g. Ford, Land Rover, MG Rover, Aston Martin, Bentley/Rolls Royce etc.

Back in the mid 90’s I was helping one of the Project Engineers clear out a lot of prototype rubber extrusion die’s. Those that had no paperwork were to be disposed off.  If I remember correctly it was to do with ISO 9001. 

One of the dies had “DeLorean” stamped on it. No one at the time who worked there could tell me anything about it. However knowing I was a DeLorean fan the Project Engineer gave me the die as other wise it was going in the scrap bin.

Years later when I got my car. I identified it as the die for the outer door seal.

I corresponded with Nick Sutton on the forum and he said that Silent Channel did not make the seals for the production car but he reckoned Lotus probably used the “Channel” for the prototype builds.

Not sure anybody will be interested but I thought I’d share.

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
In the first photo the profile looks like the goor seals. I suppose they tried different designs to get the best fit, as the early cars were built ?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
What a fascinating little bit of history Nick!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie