Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th gear won't engage
Ok i’ll just do a clean up and tackle it from there. Not sure when I'll get round to it my sister just had her first baby so he is distracting me considerably ?
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Hi all - so I finally got around to adjusting the crossgate cable. First now engages much more easily.

4th, however, still won't engage. I had a look at the pivot bolt and the crossgate cable, and the rest of the linkage under the car while my mate shifted across all the gears and there doesn't look to be any reason why it should not engage (nothing in the way).

3rd gear works fine, as do all the others.

I did notice a bit of oil on the linkage just at the final rod end before it angles up to the gearbox - maybe a small leak?

Any ideas of what I can try next? I will change the gearbox oil, but not sure that would cause this problem. It is like 4th is not there!

I just don't get wht it suddenly happened - it was fine before the clutch slave went, and then it hasn't worked since. No slippage or any indicators of issues before that.

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
It's very odd..... will it engage if you disconnect the cables etc and do it manually at the gearbox?

Chris
PS, before you drain the gearbox ensure you have un-done the fill plug!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(08 Aug 2018, 20:52)Chris Williams Wrote: It's very odd..... will it engage if you disconnect the cables etc and do it manually at the gearbox?

Chris
PS, before you drain the gearbox ensure you have un-done the fill plug!

I might have to give this a try. I might contact you soon to organise a trip over to yours to have a look at this and some other bits!

Hi all - so I finally did a bit more on this - I've been out for a while as I have had a lot of issues with my eyes which are finally getting back to normal!

I changed the gear oil without any issues.

I also disconnected the selector rod from the gearbox - when it is disconnected I can select 4th gear with the stick, which means the selector mechanism is ok. Also with the rod disconnected I still can't get 4th at the gearbox (just by trying to engage it under the car).

So it does look like the issue is within the gearbox itself unfortunately. I'll have to look into costs to repair - does anyone know any apart from gtoracing?

Cheers!

Quote:does anyone know any apart from gtoracing?
I don't, but I would have thought that any 'old school' re-manufacturer would have been able to deal with it. It's not a common issue though I still have a 'gut feeling' we are missing something.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(29 Oct 2018, 20:03)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:does anyone know any apart from gtoracing?
I don't, but I would have thought that any 'old school' re-manufacturer would have been able to deal with it. It's not a common issue though I still have a 'gut feeling' we are missing something.
Chris

I know right! I can't find anyone else that has had this same issue so juts don't get why it has happened. Bet it is something really obvious that I am missing Huh 

Think maybe it is worth getting you to have an experienced look at it just to make sure it is borked before pushing ahead with any sort of expensive reconditioning work.

Quote:Think maybe it is worth getting you to have an experienced look at it just to make sure it is borked before pushing ahead with any sort of expensive reconditioning work
I wouldn't say I was, but I don't think it would harm. We will have to try and line something up. Having been thinking about it since your last post the 'only' thing I can think of is 'if' it has something to do with your slave/master failing and perhaps it's still not correct BUT it's clutching at straws I'm afraid.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584