Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th gear won't engage
Hi all,

After putting my car back together last week, and now the snow is finally gone, I thought I'd take it out for a drive.

Drives well - no issues apart from the gearbox - for some reason 4th gear will not engage

It's like the gear is not there at all - no grinding etc just feels like theres nothing there - like a wall, so you can even move the stick toward the gear.

I tried taking the centre console top off as the car has a weird metal gaitor, just to make sure it wasn't that, and to check if anything was stuck in the linkage at the gear stick end but it all looked ok.

All the other gears work fine without issue - no slipping etc

Any ideas? It doesn't stop me driving it as I can skip it, but it would be good to get it sorted! I'll have to get it on some ramps to have a look underneath when I have a chance.

Cheers!
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
It'll be the crossgate cable linkage which reverses the push/pull motion under the console on its way to the gearbox connection.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote:It'll be the crossgate cable linkage which reverses the push/pull motion under the console on its way to the gearbox connection.
What that bloke wrote Big Grin
I think if you search you tube there is a good video from Martin G about how to adjust it. The metal 'gaitor' certainly does not help. Though why it should be like it now is a puzzle?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Cool thanks guys!

@Rissy - that sounded very techie - I'll delve into the technical manual to see what you are talking about Smile

@Chris - the reason I haven't swapped it out yet is a replacement gaitor is rather pricey!

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Here's the YouTube link to Martins video Chris W mentions: https://youtu.be/ng6-l2fhPXw

Enjoy! :-)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Hmmm I just watched the video - not entirely sure if that is causing my issue as I can select third gear so should be able to just move back into fourth? Also reverse works and fifth works so that pin and so the cable are probably in the right place?

Guess I'll need to get under the car and take a good look at the mechanism at the gear box end.

You better hope it's the crossgate cable, otherwise it may mean the need to start messing about with the innards of the gearbox. Normally if the other gears are working, and it's only one giving jip, then it's the crossgate cable. It really needs two people to ascertain the issue and/or the direction of adjustment. One person playing with the stick and one person under the car.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Yes fingers crossed it is the cable. Not sure why it would have suddenly stopped working within the gear box as it's a sealed unit with the oil and all?

If it is the gear box itself I'll be living without 4th for a while!

I feel pretty confident in saying I doubt it will be your gearbox. It could be the cable needs adjusting or the pivot bolt (which converts the motion) has come loose.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Or a mouse has set up shop and blocked it somehow - I wouldn't put that outside the realm of possibilities in my area my other car had a mouse living in the engine bay lol!

Quote:I feel pretty confident in saying I doubt it will be your gearbox. It could be the cable needs adjusting or the pivot bolt (which converts the motion) has come loose
Again, all as this bloke wrote!! Big Grin
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I'll echo what the guys wrote, when I had a new clutch fitted, all the gears were fine at first, then
I started finding some gears hard to engage - not good as I was in the middle of a 150 mile drive
home from having it fitted in Southend (long story).
When we got home, we bled the clutch and adjusted things, and its been fine ever since (this was
in 2006).
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
There's a manual linkage refresh kit on deloreango with new pivot bolts and bushes etc so might get that.

The assembly under the centre console is quite rusty. Should I just leave it alone or take it out and use rust remover?

Personally Ive give it a quick clean up with a squirt of WD40 or a light oil, but wouldn't get any other chemicals in there. What is the cable like? New pivots and bushed seems a little OTT at this stage. IMO
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:There's a manual linkage refresh kit on deloreango with new pivot bolts and bushes etc so might get that
I would get it working first before throwing new parts on, if it worked before then there is no real reason why it should not now. I'm not saying don't put new bits on but putting them on first 'may' just complicate the symptoms.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584