Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch reservior access panel questions
Hi all,

I thought if I end up having to refurbish my master cylinder, I'll also want to change the hose from the reservoir to the cylinder.

The issue I first have is that one of the rivnuts is spinning (awkward one on bottom right of panel) - I've bought a special countersink end cutter to help me remove it - need to get the screw out first though.

The question I have is - why are there foam gaskets and a load of sealant around this panel?

I've been told that was done in the factory, but why does this panel need foam gaskets and sealant? Is it to stop petrol fumes from entering the front storage area?

Seems like overkill with the above and the number of screws, but I assume there must be a good reason.

Cheers!
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
The DeLorean is worse than the Titanic for leaking. Silicone bondo is all round there, and underneath that panel for the bulkhead holding the footpedal assembly because it's a leakable access into the cabin of the car. There are so many leakable areas on these cars, there's almost too many to list. I've made my car leakfree, even with a pressure washer, but it took a lot of effort. I found 16 areas where the car was leaking, and this doesn't include the doors, which I'm afraid to say, leak, due to their design and is almost impossible to cure.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Ok so I'll just avoid rain if I remove all that crap to get the panel out lol! Bit tricky in this country though Big Grin

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
Indeed. The only reason for needing silicone or a rubber gasket around the cover for the clutch reservoir/fuel tank pipe is because rainwater leaks down the breather hole grommet next to the clutch reservoir rubber grommet. That leads into that space, which in turn leads into the boot if that panel doesn't separate the two areas properly.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Ah - good to know - you are a tome of knowledge good sir!