Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-rusting and rustproofing box sections
Hi all, I find myself with a trailing arm removed for sundry purposes and notice that the epoxy is flaking everywhere, way down inside too far down to get any tools at it.  Any advice on the best way to pick the remains of the epoxy off, and protect the arm internally and externally, and then re-coat it?

I'm thinking some chemical dip, then maybe galvanise and finally powder-coat.  Can you powder-coat on top of Galvanising however?

funny how a small job has led to this - always the way I suppose!

Thanks all, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Can you powder-coat on top of Galvanising however
I am by no means an expert but yes I understand this has been done on frames that have been galvanised.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(26 Nov 2017, 22:40)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Can you powder-coat on top of Galvanising however
I am by no means an expert but yes I understand this has been done on frames that have been galvanised.
Chris

Cheers Chris, I reckon some sort of dipping has to be the only way to clean the rust and protect deep inside the Trailing arms. 

Talk about mission creep, this started with new rear tyres and now I have the entire trailing arm out!  And predictably, I'm thinking I might as well do both sides 'while I'm at it'...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hot dip galvanising should sort it out ok. You could then just use an etch primer and paint it grey. Once thats all done you could coat the inside with Waxoyl or similar if you wanted a true 'belt and bracers' job. That should see it OK for the next 100 years or so!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(27 Nov 2017, 08:49)Chris P Wrote: Hot dip galvanising should sort it out ok. You could then just use an etch primer and paint it grey. Once thats all done you could coat the inside with Waxoyl or similar if you wanted a true 'belt and bracers' job.  That should see it OK for the next 100 years or so!

Cheers Mr. P!

Do you have any local recommendations for Galvanising please?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
No sorry Richard, it wants to be  traditional Hot dip, to burn off all the old plastic coating inside the arm. No one really local that I know off.  I would ask about minimum charges and have rough dimensions to hand when you phone up.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian