Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cable sizes
Hi all. can anyone tell me the sizes of cable i will need to extend the wires from my fuse box please.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Hi Dan

Sorry, I haven't got round to replying to your PM yet on this yet.

Very difficult to answer this, without pulling out a fuse box and measuring all the wires. They are a range of various sizes depending on what they're powering.

If you had a sample length from each of the fuses you need to count the number of strands and then measure the diameter (using a caliper) of a strand, then I could tell you :?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Personally i would make sure it is slightly thicker than what was original, that way you are covered TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
well that certainly wouldnt do any harm i suppose.

What are you doing dan , putting in a new fuse box ?
Yes i am putting in a new fuse box. Mine is starting to melt fuses. I found one in a Volvo that is really good. It has spade conecters going to the back of it so what i want to do is t6his. Extend the wires that go into the back of my original fuse box by about 30cm and mount my new fuse box just behind the passenger seat in one of those electrical boxes that look like a flux capacitor box. I will drill a hole through the ply wood from the electrics compartment and into the new box as there is absolutly jack room in the wireing compartment. A frind of mine said just go rip some wires out of a car down the scrappy and i'm bound to find something. I'll do some measureing in the morning and go see what i can find. Thanx guys i will be methodical about it and i'll let you know how it goes.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Hi guys. Just to let you all know. My new volvo fuse board is in and it all works. Total price= £2 in the charity box for the board and approx £10 on 27amp wire from halfords. The cable is thicker than any on the car so it should be fine. Oh and 1 bag of butt crimps and one bag of spade conectors from Screw fix £6. The job was quite easy although i did have a severe lack of blood left in my legs after being squashed into the car behind the passenger seat for an hour or so. Pins and needles with avengance followed. I have a small enough board to fit back in the electrics compartment so i didn't have to use the flux capacitor sized box behind the passenger seat idea. I wrote lots of notes on colours of wires and fuse numbers and stuff and i labeled all the wires so everything went back in fine. Not as daunting as i thought it would be though but it does give me an aprieciation of auto electricians and how clever they must be and how double jointed they must. All the best.
Dan. The tree man
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor