Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future National Events?
Hi all,

unfortunately, due to the event we were planning on attending being cancelled, and no time to organise a different one, the Club has not had its traditional annual event this year.

Whilst these events are enjoyed by those who attend, we tend to get only around 15-20 cars at events, which is disappointing considering the amount of effort that goes into organising them.

So, my question to you, the Club membership, is "what do you want to do?" 

Do you want a National Event that goes to a different part of the country each year, or would you rather we had a Club Stand at larger events, like Tatton Park, Knebworth, Bromley Pageant, etc?

I'm sure it'll be discussed further at the NEC when we have our AGM, but your feedback would be appreciated so we can get an idea what people want from their club.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Dare I say it might be worth teaming up with the other UK club?   I remember when we went to Norfolk and had 44 cars! And similar at Gaydon. That was really something to behold.

I am also in the Rover club, or should I say one of the Rover Clubs...I know of at least 4, they have joint meets, nothing too formal, just give a date and a venue and they all turn up.  
Tatton Park would be good for me.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
You, or we, are always going to struggle with location. For big "decade" events, I'll take time off, holiday etc and come along, but for yearly stuff I'll go about as far as the NEC because any further and it's takes all the fun out of it if I'm knackered, so I think the number of cars will be lower the further South you come.

Most big clubs (we aren't big, I know) usually only do one or two locations, and switch them around each year. You've done a great job of putting all these various locations together, but it's obviously a lot of work! A bit like the "old" VBOA Billing Location for all our VX clubs main events.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

hmm, ok, that's interesting feedback. I know a lot of people ended up getting bored of going to the same place every year, especially those that had a to travel a fair distance, which is why in 2010, we decided to have the event in a different place each year, to make it as accessible as possible for all members, no matter where they live.

I know that the Renault Owners Club are interested at having us at events, and indeed a couple of years ago, a few of us had a very enjoyable day out at Donington at a Renault/Nissan event. I could speak to the ROC about this - remember the Renault World Series Events we used to go along to and have a great time at Smile
I certainly meant no disrespect; I think the idea of changing it every year is a GOOD one, but it's also nice to know if it's in a static place so you can plan for it. Between Renault and the "other club" then perhaps there are options.

Personally, I can see the sea on the South coast when I leave the office, so there is nothing more north than London Tongue - so I'm very much a minority here, and my opinion should be treated as such. It's also, perhaps a little unfairly of me to say, that I don't have a car I can use, that keeps me from attending with the same enthusiasm. That'll change though!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Hi All

As an infrequent poster on this forum I thought I would add my support for Chris P's idea of teaming up with the Eurotec guys for an event. Being an owner of only five years I'm not fully aware of the history between the two clubs but I can promise you that I have only ever heard Arran J, Alistair V and Nick T speaking about, for example, Chris W and Chris P in polite and respectful terms. Moreover I know that they would welcome DOC owners coming to their next event (which will be held in Norfolk in October). I appreciate that concerns have been raised over far flung locations however I think it is the people that make an event successful rather than the location. Indeed, the attendees come from across the country including the South Coast and Yorkshire (and Kent in my case). They are invariably a really friendly group of people and I am confident a good time would be had by all.

I know that posting links to the Eurotec forum has been frowned upon in the past however the link to their next event (which, so far, has c30 people booked in) is:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5645

As I said before I know that all the people there will welcome DOC members coming and I shall hope to see you there.

Richard
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981
(06 Sep 2017, 09:54)TBRM Wrote: Hi All

As an infrequent poster on this forum I thought I would add my support for Chris P's idea of teaming up with the Eurotec guys for an event. Being an owner of only five years I'm not fully aware of the history between the two clubs but I can promise you that I have only ever heard Arran J, Alistair V and Nick T speaking about, for example, Chris W and Chris P in polite and respectful terms. Moreover I know that they would welcome DOC owners coming to their next event (which will be held in Norfolk in October). I appreciate that concerns have been raised over far flung locations however I think it is the people that make an event successful rather than the location. Indeed, the attendees come from across the country including the South Coast and Yorkshire (and Kent in my case). They are invariably a really friendly group of people and I am confident a good time would be had by all.

I know that posting links to the Eurotec forum has been frowned upon in the past however the link to their next event (which, so far, has c30 people booked in) is:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5645

As I said before I know that all the people there will welcome DOC members coming and I shall hope to see you there.

Richard

Hello all,

I would concur with Richard and his sentiments. As a relatively new DeLorean owner and member of both clubs, I'm unfamiliar with the history, just that two clubs evolved. I've attended events organised by both and enjoyed them thoroughly. 

In support of Richard's comments I can say that I attended my first Eurotec event at King's Lynn, Norfolk back in June and benefited greatly by being their.  They tend to have a couple of regular events at similar times of the year that everyone can plan for, and I understand now a common venue has been agreed upon. So attendees can plan for events in June and October each year and know where it will be held. In addition the venue has a car park which is ideal for the gathering. I mention the car park because whenever there is an event I would imagine owners would always wish to know that their car is as secure as is reasonably possible. Also what is done well is the agenda of the event, a mix of social events for club members and family as well as tech sessions, where resources and skills are pooled and everyone helps each other out to resolve issues or do various jobs, are planned. 

Therefore if both clubs did join forces and organise a common annual event, I feel this can only be a good thing.

That's my tuppence worth  Angel  Smile
VIN #16606 LHD, Black Interior

DOC 861

Follow my refurbishment blog
[Image: 33193548620_da6625c18c.jpg]
at https://www.facebook.com/timemachine16606/
or http://timemachine16606.tumblr.com
I've only read posts until now, as a silent stalker but....

I can third (or whatever number we're at now) that notion. I too went to the Norfolk event this year, being my first meet, and it was great fun! Everyone was friendly and welcoming. I've been a member of both clubs for two years now and see no reason not to join forces all in the name of a good time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the benefit of newer readers / owners:-

When I was secretary of the DOC I organised the first big event at Norfolk in 2006, we as a Club went back to Norfolk for next two years. This was when the other DeLorean Club was  formed. It turned into a bit of a messy Divorce, and as many such 'Divorces' things were said and done by both sides that with hindsight, were regrettable.

We are now about a decade on and both UK Clubs have found their niche, evolved and continue to prosper. I and other DOC members have had frequent contact and dealings with many Delorean owners, no matter which club they belong to, and many owners belong to both clubs.

The fact remains organising a meeting can be a very time consuming business with no guarantee of success. I did it in 2006 and again in 2016 at Lotus. Any group of Deloreans look stunning, the more there are, the better it looks. 

There not that many cars in the UK, so lets make the most of it, and ALL meet up whenever possible, no matter which club we belong to.  Thats been my view for quite some time. Forgive and forget.  Smile

It would be nice if other Delorean Owners could spend a bit of time helping out on the NEC stand  In November.

Chris Parnham 

Historian of the DOC UK.

Joint author of 'DeLorean Celebrating the Impossible'.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Personally, I've enjoyed the 'change of scenery' that rotating our events provided, and it was nice to explore other parts of the country, rather then going to the same area year after year.

As you know, our De's are off the road, and we have other commitments at the moment, including building work, so I very much
doubt I'll be attending, or organizing, any events within the next 12 months.

I think though, a DOC-UK presence at big shows like Tatton Park, is a good idea, and a good way of promoting the DeLorean and the DOC-UK to a wider 'classic car' audience.