Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2292 New engine
(06 Sep 2022, 11:53)Guinney1971 Wrote: An update:

as we had a friend who wants to use some of our garage space to store some Porsche parts,
we were given the kick up the bum we needed to roll the chassis out clean it up, and see how
bad it is.

The gearbox was a pig to get out, and the fuel tank came out with a few sheared bolts, and the
tank panel is pretty rough, but we think saveable.

However, after a thorough degrease and pressurewash, we've got a good idea what the car needs,
and although its not pretty, it is mostly surface rust, the only unknown, being the box section under
where the engine goes.  That will need further investigation.  Phill has also made a start on the
modifications to the Rover V8 sump so that it will clear that section of chassis when the new engine
goes in - that needs a new camshaft (tempted to go for a performance cam, even though its around
£250 instead of about £80 for a standard one) - we've already picked up a complete Rover V8 testbed
to run the engine up on when its built up.  The engine will have an electric water pump, and we are
also looking at electric air con system and power steering.

I'll do an update for DeLorean News with photos so you can see Frame #01944 in all its 'glory'.....

Claire if you plan on getting the frame blasted and recoated, vibrant coatings near me have a booth and tank more than large enough for the frame + extra.

i found out through Rebel classics who are under the same owner as vibrant as they did a DeLorean frame not long back. Big Grin
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Hiya,

thanks for the info William.

Due to budget restraints, we'll be doing the work ourselves, and I'm not going to have the frame
grey anymore, I'm tempted to go for black when its all done. I think it'll go better with the black
bodytub and also look nice against the shiny new engine and its chrome Holley air filter.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Personally if your not doing it for originality I'd always paint a chassis. Powder coating just invites rust as soon as there's a scratch. I've always heard good reviews of por15 products.
(10 Sep 2022, 10:17)acmetowers Wrote: Personally if your not doing it for originality I'd always paint a chassis. Powder coating just invites rust as soon as there's a scratch. I've always heard good reviews of por15 products.

this is our thought.  I've no intention of selling the car, I've had her 20yrs now, and I've always joked
I could never inflict her on anyone else  Big Grin

Phill used to go to train depots, where it was possible to procure 'train bogey black' paint, but that's not 
an option now, so we will be looking at other paint options.  I've never been a huge fan of the light grey
chassis, as it shows every blemish - black paint can hide a multitude of sins lol.

An update.... so the plan is to move the gearbox back 2 inches, that will give even more clearance between
the engine and the rear of the car - this is not an issue for the driveshafts, as the automatic cars' driveshafts
are at a different angle to manual ones anyway.  This has meant removing things like the rods and things between
the gearshifter and the gearbox.  Some new parts will be fabricated, however we have found that the Crossgate
Cable (101363) is absolutely seized solid, and has worn away to expose the thick boden cable inside.  This 
will explain why the car always had a difficult and notchy gearchange.  Its an expense I can do without, but its a 
part I can't do without.  Sods law.

I'll do a write up on recent events with photos for a future issue of DeLorean News.
UPDATE: Thank you to Nicole at DMCH who has been a massive help with the Crossgate Cable.

One is on its way to me, hopefully will arrive this week.

Phill has been busy fabricating a new shifter rod.

Really starting to get my DeLorean Mojo back, its been 6 years (!) since the engine blew up, so
to be cracking on with the restoration and rebuild now is certainly a boost in how I feel about the
car. My deteriorating physical health has been a barrier to me doing much work, and Phill has his
own projects to deal with, but we are doing a bit here and there, and hopefully in a couple of years
#2292 will ride the roads again.