Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otterstat replacement
That time of year again... MOT and the temp sensor has failed (5 years on this one so I can't complain too much).

I recall recent revelations on the early failure of some replacements due to crushing effects of the spring clamp <insert correct technical description here> thing.

So can I have a quick update on the latest theory on the best replacement. I'm still leaning towards an OEM look-alike if I can for originality sake...but am tempted by what I remember of ChrisP's replacement he had samples of at the NEC. (new pipe/screw-in sensor).

Chris if you read this can you please chime in if you still have those and the cost.

Sensor to trigger the fans at the lower range given the choice.

JohnC
Out of interest how did they work out the otterstat had failed doing the MOT Huh  didn't allow it to overheat did they? Big Grin
May be worth giving Chris a ring to see if he has any left, but I think he passed all the 'rights' to sell them over to Arran.
FYI for what it's worth I think they are a great investment and don't detract from the car at all as they are very, very similar to OEM but a much better product.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi all,
yes, I had 3 failures in quick succession and with other club members help we came up with a good solution.  I am very pleased with the resultant new otterstat housing and the range of different sensors that you can choose. The trial batch  sold out very quickly, but as i'm retired from 'business" I didn't want to get back into it again, Dodgy  and as Arran has the time and distribution network to get them made  and keep them available. I thought it much more sensible for him to take the job over.

No one is making much money from this exercise, but its all about prevention of failure and piece of mind for our DeLorean community. Smile
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:I recall recent revelations on the early failure of some replacements due to crushing effects of the spring clamp <insert correct technical description here> thing.

It was caused by an extremely tight clamp rather than a faulty otterstat.
The solution was two (note two) tie wraps around the body of the otterstat to hold it in place and the problem was solved.
The proper wire clips are a lot thinner than the offending clamp.
If your otterstat clip looks like its made from coat hanger wire then you wont have any problems using a standard otterstat.

BTW I've no idea why we call it an 'otterstat'. On every other car they are 'radiator fan switches'  Undecided
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.