Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 6101 For Sale - Single Turbo?
Any opinions on this car, currently for sale on ebay USA?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-DMC-12-...1471316135

I hadn't realised they ever made a factory-option single-turbo car? I thought there was just the twin-turbo in development? I'm a bit power-hungry so the idea of a DeLorean with a little more 'go' appeals, though I don't just want to buy a random aftermarket modified car.

I'm in the US (California) for a month in January and keen to find a car to bring back. If anyone knows of any that are worth looking at (and I'm not thinking Beverley Hills Car Club) I'd happily go hunting...

James
Former owner of VIN #5433
Looks very nice on the inside and out. It looks to me like it's a BAE single turbo. It was an option I understand in the 80's so may have been fitted by the dealer. If you google it I'm sure you will find more details. The other was the 'island' twin turbo kit. Some people don't like the turbo cars, personally I don't mind however I think the BAE turbo can be tricky to fix if it fails.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Be interesting what the bidding ends at.
Yes, as Chris W says, 'Dealership installed' can mean anything…certainly not factory fitted.

Someone once Joked to me that they have never known a 'Turbo-DeLorean' get to and from an event….trouble-fee.

I'm sure thats not true!  But my own experiences of them have not been good. Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Nice looking car, 3 things that jump out at me are...

strong evidence of (past) Brake master cylinder leakage corroding the fuel tank plate on the frame
Front end recall kit isn't present (where the ARB bolts to the front frame extension)
Front looks too high for me, lowering springs (maybe more while you're in there) would need to be done.

Not sure what those paint marks on the ARB indicate.

I saw this Dealer on Fast n Loud over the weekend on the Discovery channel
Here they are on facebook and there is a very brief video of this car on there
https://www.facebook.com/stlclassiccars/?fref=nf
DOC 116
VIN 6237
That car is listed on their website for just under $49k, so I am sure the reserve is quite high.

There is a lovely BAE car for sale over on DMCTalk for less than $40k from a long time owner who is fastidious with his car, here in Georgia - far from CA but perhaps you can split your trip.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Ebay car was bid up to $27,600 but didn't meet reserve. I suspect it was more of a marketing exercise...

Thanks for the tip Dermot, I'll take a look on DMC Talk. Frustratingly I was only in Atlanta last week, would have loved to have gone D hunting whilst there!
We just had a tech session recently and that car was there. Very nice looking one.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I've contacted the guy. Car looks great, but sadly he's not so eager to sell right now! I'm going to try and come see it anyway next month and if I like it maybe I can twist his arm?! Thanks Dermot
good luck James, hope you can put a deal together Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie