Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names and naming conventions
Browsing through the various sites that cover our special car and it's creator I notice that the majority is not aware of the fact that the family name of the creator and his product are not written correctly.

Surely, that's partially caused by naming conventions on the internet.
That, however, should not lead to writing the names as one whereas the family, the company and the product name clearly have to be written as TWO words "De Lorean" instead of "Delorean" or "DeLorean".

Consider your name would be written incorrectly. What would be your first action if it is the government that misspelled or otherwise garbled your name?
In this case the consequenses are clear: you'll face a hard time to prove who you are and how your name should be written. Your entire past could be overlooked or be erased!

I therefore plead for a properly written "De Lorean" in all expressions by all that sympathise with our car and it's creator. This also is a kind of tribute to the man and his vision and dream and moreover shows respect.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
Yes interesting one that.

I have personally always tended to spell it 'DeLorean', without a gap.

Indeed i remember a similar discussion in the US a few years back on this which showed that whilst the company sometimes used a space in his name it was only a 'half' space ( not sure what this is called back in the days of type writers )

Looking at the origional companies own literature it is very inconsistant sometimes there is a full space , a half space or even no space at all

The Club has put a full space in its name as in the banner above.

I supose the lettering on the back of the car does have a slightly larger gap.

[Image: 1-1.jpg]

From Wikapedia:-

Delorean, DeLorean, or De Lorean?
De Lorean is more often seen spelled without the space: DeLorean. However, typewritten company documents universally use the space, so this is clearly the company's chosen (and correct) form. In typeset documents, a half space, not a full space, appears between the two portions, and the same is visible in more stylistic representations, as on the automobiles themselves. This use of a half space probably influenced many people to see no space there.

The company's founder originally spelled his name as John Delorean. At some point in his life he began using the more Dutch-looking De Lorean instead. During the period the DeLorean Motor Company was operating, he used a space exclusively when spelling his name in the course of business.

The spelling of the name with an intercap L is a form of compromise between the two forms. Some people capitalize the L and leave the D uncapitalized, spelling the name 'deLorean' and some even add the space while leaving the D uncapitalized to form the name as 'de Lorean', following French usage.
It's like with the (Italian) brand name "De Tomaso".
Two words too.

I have replied to a respondent on the same subject at DMCTalk in an alike manner.
The interspacing used on the rear facia of the car IMO clearly shows how to write the name. No discussion there.

In written text however the company itself used the parts of the name as one, but I feel this is because of easier acceptance by the crowd as the commercial guys call it.

My car's title shows two words, where other owners only have the name as one word. It's always nice to "misuse" the government this way :wink: They often do that to us.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
Actually just to let you know, JZD changed his name in the early stages of the DeLorean project to De Lorean.

Nobody knows why, but on documentrys it states that he changed it to sound more 'interesting'.
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
I have a very good friend who's parents origionally came from Hungary. When they came to the Uk there names were; Coulber de servais. However they thought that this was a bit to pretencious for England in the 30's so changed it to Serv Coulber and dropped the 'de' alltogether. Apparently this split surname thing is fairly common in certain parts.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Maybe thats it. I think its one of the unsolvable delorean myths.
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T