Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Pump Reconditioning
As some of you may already know, I had a cheaply bought water pump with pulley I bought off Ebay. Last year, I attempted to dismantle it in order to get access to the bearing seal, but unfortunately destroyed the water pump and pulley in an attempt to get the pulley off (which is necessary for replacing the bearing seal). The pulley is still on that pump, but deformed probably beyond repair, as I still never succeeded in removing it! It came half off, then refused to budge any further.

My fitted water pump (was still the original one I believe after confirming with Martin) started leaking this summer, which forced my hand to replace it with one of Ed's remanufactured units. So that's what's on the car now.

After only a few hundred miles, this new pump has started making squeaky noises, but doesn't show any signs of failing (yet), but in case it does, I want to have my old pump reconditioned, and ready to go as a backup. After my experience with trying to pull apart the old ebay one, for practice (and failed), I'd like to know what the definitive instruction set is for trying to pull apart my original one without destroying it the same as i did before. Or alternatively, can someone suggest a reputable re-conditioner for handing my pump to them and let them do it for me?

If someone has a good re-conditioner in mind, can you give me an indication as a rough ball-park figure, how much I'd be looking at for this sort of service?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Dave Howarth can get it done for you. He's had a lot done and all done very well, nut sure on cost though.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
As Chris W says, Ive had 2 done via Dave Howarth, only takes about a week, but it usually costs about £100.

The bloke knows what he's up to, he even commented last time that 'this pump wasn't leaking'!….No it wasn't , but I know from previous experience that it would do eventually and as I working in 'the valley of death', I thought for the sake of a £100, I didn't want to be re-visiting it all, any time soon.

My car never used a drop of any fluids during my long trip to Norfolk and back…i'm dead chuffed.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
£100 for a refurbishment is quite expensive.

Especially considering I picked up this little beauty yesterday when I saw it. This, with the other parts off my original one (which I successfully got off the pump yesterday evening) should give me a reliable backup.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/311421530160

On a side topic, I also bought one of these, which I'll be using to try and refurbish my clutch master cylinder. I want a backup of the new DMC one I fitted to the car this summer too (as per people's advice and feedback about the new ones not being very reliable)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/221826343461
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Yes Chris,
hand built stuff is usually dearer than mass produced, I just like to keep with the original if I can and in addition to that, I have a brand new Volvo water pump taking up space that I bought off eBay…..it was probably my fault but it was for a slightly different model. …..mine was only £18 delivered…..£18 wasted as it turns out. :oops:

I'm sure yours will be fine.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ours was reconditioned by Dave Howarth's tame expert... posted him down a barely recognisable pile of leaking rust and misery, and received back a pristine, as new water pump. I couldn't believe it was the same pump. Been fitted to the car for 600 miles now, no leaking or unusual noises at all. The guy does a thorough and proper job, for the price (£125 in our case as the pump was basically scrap) I consider that to be a bargain given the work done.
Med Venlig Hilsen
Just looking through some old treads, thought I add my 4 pence again.

Dave has organised 4 for me over the years, with return postage the cost is about £120/ £140 ish, depending on how bad it was.

In my experience, the originals can last about 30 years or 70K miles, which ever come first before they need attention.

They usually come back painted black, in which case I woft them over with silver spray and a gold for the pulley.

There is something satisfying about keeping an original one. I've never had one fail, the one on Delores has been running for 20 trouble-free years.

I'm pretty sure Dave does them at cost and they only take 24hours turnaround from his mate.

BTW, I do have a good second-hand one here, that could be 'Borrowed' and later replaced with your old one...if someone wanted to turn the job around in a day.. Smile

Toot Toot.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
...I've still yet to get my original one done. I really ought to get on that.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):