Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indicator Stalk self cancelling
Morning all,

Well trying to sort out a couple of niggly things with #5641 before this weekends meeting.

My indicator stalk won't self cancel when when putting on the indicators and then turning the steering wheel.

Before I dive in and start to take things apart (and creating a bigger problem) is this likely to be an easy fix? Whats the mechanism that cancels the indicator?

Stu
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Ooh you're coming along? Great news!

Probably something like this http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_ ... s_id=88013 or the stalk plastic is broken/worn out (the part that runs through and "clicks"). I've replaced a couple in my time - though never a DeLorean's.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Difficult to explain, but basically the steering wheel turns a plastic collar which has a couple of ridges in it.

On the stalk switch assembly, there are two small white plastic plungers on springs, which flick past the ridge in one direction and snag on it in the other, knocking the indicator off.

Those plastic plungers get worn and fail to knock off. It doesn't take much wear for them not to work.

You can extend their life a little bit by swapping them over.

Take careful note of the condition of the cable running up to the horn switch. The insulation cracks causing a short circuit and a horn that wont shut up!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Ok manage to fix it.

Making a steering wheel pull was the hardest part. I seem to have different size threads on either side of the steering wheel and no bolts long enough. Cobbled something together though.

The white plastic collar with the cam on was 180 degrees out of sync and so I just rotated it with the steering wheel off and bobs your uncle. Job done.

Yes, I'll be bringing #5641 to Lotus / Duxford at the weekend. Finally we'll meet Dan and you can see "Maddie" again Smile

Stu
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Oh great! I'm so excited! Big Grin
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Emagine Wrote:Making a steering wheel pull was the hardest part. I seem to have different size threads on either side of the steering wheel and no bolts long enough. Cobbled something together though.

The white plastic collar with the cam on was 180 degrees out of sync and so I just rotated it with the steering wheel off and bobs your uncle. Job done.

Not guilty m'lud, though I'm sure I had that wheel off at least once. Should be a pair of M6's but if the threads pulled out at some point, I may have tapped it to M7. Glad you gotit sorted anyway.

The indicators are meant to cancel at 12 o'clocl and 6 o'clock. Since the 12 one gets the most wear, if it wears out, I just remove the wheel and spin the 6 oclock one round so at least it works where people care about it. WHich is what you've just done
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
great to know you and Maddie are coming along Stu, are the family coming too?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Just me I'm afraid. I was hoping Liz and James would come to Duxford but unfortunately my parents are away and we're doing Duxford in about a month for an Air Show so saving it till then.

I'll be there though.

Looking forward to visiting Lotus again. Was my second home a while ago while filming about 5 years ago!

Stu
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

ah, well give Liz and James our best, be great to see you again all the same Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie