Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Block rot
Has anyone ever had block rot go right through?

I've got bad block rot in the deep recesses of my engine.

I've been gouging out rotted aluminium for hours, and I have no idea how much material is left in the recess walls or floor before I connect with the oil sump. I reckon I've got about 6mm deep rot holes through now.

My current plan is to use ACF-50 in these recesses once I'm finished cleaning them out.

Then I was thinking of gobbing RTV silicone in to them to bung them up.

Anyone's thoughts on that?

I have been recommended "alumalloy" or the UK equivalent, but I don't have an oxyacetylene torch. Only a MAPP gas torch, which I don't think will burn hot enough, plus due to these holes being so small and tight, I think my torch will be starved of oxygen to keep the flame alive. They are so tight I think the biggest problem would be actually fitting everything in there in the first place AND keeping my eye over it to see what I'm doing!

Anyone else succeeded in doing this?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Ohhh dont get me started on this subject. I think I was the first one to ever have this issue and it was very well documented. These holes go very deep into the engine so dont be to surprised about how far your going down. Dont push to hard when you get to the bottom though Shock Me I clean them out rub everything down as best I can and use Glyptal engine paint to seal the valley, others use other stuff. I have tried all kinds of stuff to block the holes none of it ever seemed to work, I also had the holes TIG welded over and it just found the next weakest point for the oil to flow out. Unfortunatly there is really only one solution and it's to change the block. Theres now lots of discussion about block rot over on DMCTalk.
I will try and put some pics up from outside and inside the engine, but I think there on my other PC
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock Shock
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I changed out my engine recently because a small crack had appeared above the oil filter and it was weeping coolant, it was very pitted and corroded around the crack, indeed the whole block was a bit messy and pitted.

I thought it was going to be junk but it's funny how stuff just falls into place...

I was sat next to a guy at a recent work event, I've chatted with him at many events over the years but we've never spoken about work, anyway I dropped the question, 'what do you do' He said 'I restore and repairs aluminium engine blocks, heads and cylinder linings'

hmmm needless to say my block will shortly be with him for examination.

I not in any rush so probably be later in the year.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
small world eh!!

I would have thought he'll probably get quite a bit of business then as these engines
seem to be getting quite a bit of 'age dependent' corrosion now.

I've not been in the VOD on #2292 since 2003, but I'll give it a thorough check over
when I do a frame off jobbie in a couple of years.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thankfully our VoD looked to be fairly decent during it's recent mechanical overhaul, but there was another D in the workshop that had holed right through to the oil galleries. Very depressing for the owner. I understand he has sourced a replacement block now.
Med Venlig Hilsen
Yes, that's where mine blew through and the one in the picture above shows (not mine) but similar area.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584