Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you import your own DeLorean from the USA?
Hi Folks,

I would like to hear from anyone who has imported their own car from the USA, I am not keen on the ebay route...more interested in US dealers who are willing to ship cars in need of some restoration.

I am looking at travelling to the states later this summer and any tips would be much appreciated.

I would also like to know if anyone is running a non standard motor, either and different engine altogether or a modified engine, did you get the parts in the UK or stateside?

Thanks in advance

Jamie
Wait, you mean to say you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?!!
Hi Jamie
The US dealers will sell project cars to the UK, I know a few go to PJ Grady UK for new owners probably via PJ Grady in the US! I'm not sure how many project cars are sold from other dealers. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that they may wish to do the work and sell them on, however it's well worth contacting a few to find out. There have been a few people who have changed engines if you search for stargliders thread he's had a lovely engine built, MartinG (stunned monkey on hear) has done some as well, Renault V6 turbo's mainly I 'think'. I think there's one running around with a 3l Omega engine as well. Personally if the engine is OK I would keep it stock there not that bad really and it would 'probably' be worth more left as stock. However if the engine is done for or missing then that's something else!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris, I have been mulling over the idea of importing for about a year now and its now financially within my grasp so to speak...my son is DeLorean mad too and I am thinking about his long term inheritance :-)

I have a lot of experience with the MG (Rover) K series V6 from the Zt 190 which is an ultra light and punchy engine in standard form turns out 190 bhp...but I would be more interested in keeping the original Renault/Volvo unit and breathing some life into it discretely.

Can I repeat the first question to anyone who has imported, and maybe call in anyone who would be interested in flying to the US for a few days to do some hunting and viewing?

Jamie
You can make the PRV engine a lot better than in a stock DeLorean form, I know I have done it. remember the 'same' engine in a Volvo chucked out around 170hp compared to the 130 that a DeLorean PRV produces. On my old car I changed the car to this spec. Not for power I had a block that was leaking oil so I went down the route of improving the engine. You can start with minor improvements from changing the Dizzy and fuel metering parts and removing the cat, moving onto pistons/cams, and then fitting a performance exhaust in the order that suits you. All the above (not including exhaust) still makes the engine look stock but goes a lot quicker. However having had both (my car now being stock including cat) it really does not make that much difference, yes it was quicker but then the brakes could not cope, but the fun part is actually driving a DeLorean rather than driving one fast. Although I would fit another decat pipe!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I've imported three from the US (NYC, Ohio and California). Any dealer worth their salt will sell overseas as the process to them is very simple. All three times I've used insured shipping (about $1500 door to door) and paid via bank transfer.

It's not hard work - barely a few e-mails and 10 minutes with online banking. There is always risk, but it's manageable and there are many ways to do it to protect yourself.

I'd do it again (and well, probably will) Smile

Let me know if you want to know anything specific (I'd PM me as I don't check here too often at the moment).
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Hi Dan,

PM Sent!

Thanks for your help.

Jamie
Chris Williams Wrote:You can make the PRV engine a lot better than in a stock DeLorean form, I know I have done it. remember the 'same' engine in a Volvo chucked out around 170hp compared to the 130 that a DeLorean PRV produces. On my old car I changed the car to this spec. Not for power I had a block that was leaking oil so I went down the route of improving the engine. You can start with minor improvements from changing the Dizzy and fuel metering parts and removing the cat, moving onto pistons/cams, and then fitting a performance exhaust in the order that suits you. All the above (not including exhaust) still makes the engine look stock but goes a lot quicker. However having had both (my car now being stock including cat) it really does not make that much difference, yes it was quicker but then the brakes could not cope, but the fun part is actually driving a DeLorean rather than driving one fast. Although I would fit another decat pipe!
Chris

I would prefer to keep the original engine, and would definitely carry out some improvements but probably wouldn't go down the turbo route, Id like a car that is reasonably fast rather than dangerously fast. lol.

are all the parts you are talking about available in Europe or from the states now, cams pistin dizzy, decat etc?
Hi Jamie,

I did just that. Imported from a dealer in the US. I used DMC Midwest and if you email them, they will send you a list of all the cars in their inventory in various states of repair. You can ask them to either get a car up to a certain standard or you can ask them to leave as is and you'll take on all the necessary repairs. They will usually give you an idea of how much work is left to complete on the car so you know what you're getting in to.

They have exported a lot of cars that way and the whole process seemed to be taken in their stride.
Alex

"That punk Calvin Klein"
ali66 Wrote:Hi Jamie,

I did just that. Imported from a dealer in the US. I used DMC Midwest and if you email them, they will send you a list of all the cars in their inventory in various states of repair. You can ask them to either get a car up to a certain standard or you can ask them to leave as is and you'll take on all the necessary repairs. They will usually give you an idea of how much work is left to complete on the car so you know what you're getting in to.

They have exported a lot of cars that way and the whole process seemed to be taken in their stride.

Hi Alex, Thanks for the advice, I have already sent them an email...when did you bring yours back? Jamie
Just to echo whats been said, I imported mine back in 2002, mine was via Ebay though - a sorta
second chance offer as original buyer pulled out, and I got my car $750 less then the final bid on
Ebay Smile

I used Transglobal Auto Logistics, who lots of us have used to bring cars over, they are really helpful too.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie