Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting possible problem
The car has a the new style fuel pump.
It has a new Fuel accumulator.
The thermo time switch readings are normal.
I haven't touched the pressure regulator yet.

I have now added the one way valve and all seems well, I have now had two hot starts and it seems happy. I doesn't like the throttle being touched on start up though, neither when it's cold or hot. I guess that is just a feature of the engine - it certainly doesn't cause me any issues.

So for now, all is good in the world of time travel.
That's good news, fingers crossed.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I never touch the throttle on start-up anyway, but I will try mine when next out & let you know.
Did find out one thing today..... A left=hand Delorean is a major pain in the arse at Mcdonalds drive through!! :lol:
Quote:A left=hand Delorean is a major pain in the bottom at Mcdonalds drive through!!
You need a small child in the passenger seat and only buy happy meals with the tiny cups :lol:
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
[quote="marty"]The car has a the new style fuel pump.
It has a new Fuel accumulator.
The thermo time switch readings are normal.
I haven't touched the pressure regulator yet.

When you say thermo time switch readings are normal,what did you find,I have come across different readings depending on which forum I looked on,but I had the problem again Sunday,the csv had power to it when hot,causing flooding,I unplugged it and woooba away she went.Im glad yours is fixed but the non return valve fix does not explain the fuel smell. (Sorry to throw doubt on it)but if it does happen again try unplugging the csv.
These cars attract a fair bit of attention and there is nothing worse than sitting there cranking on the starter with nothin happening,I was nervous as hell at the fuel station in case I had to push it off the pumps. :oops:
I feel your pain Max! You just want a big hole to open up and swallow the stupid car.
:lol: That's true, I guess because it looks like a supercar but is renowned for being beset by problems. Old VW's are different, everyone knows they are old and clunky and when they break-down you just gotta roll with it & it is usually something real simple because they are real simple.

I remember (and this may help some) having a very similar hot starting problem with my 73' Bay.
Would start cold, but a total pig to re-start hot. Had to be pushed through two international border points by soldiers on duty. Talk about making an entrance!! :lol:
Anyhow, it turned out, after changing nearly everything (and much scratching of head) to be a well used rotor arm.
When the coil was cold it produced a stronger spark, but a hot coil didn't have the power to jump in the distributor cap.
Might be worth checking.
I got 0 ohms on one side and 30 ohms on the other side.

I am curious about the pressure regulator valve. I am happy to take it apart but what actually fails inside it?

Cheers
Max Power Wrote:When you say thermo time switch readings are normal,what did you find,I have come across different readings depending on which forum I looked on,but I had the problem again Sunday,the csv had power to it when hot,causing flooding,I unplugged it and woooba away she went.Im glad yours is fixed but the non return valve fix does not explain the fuel smell. (Sorry to throw doubt on it)but if it does happen again try unplugging the csv.

I agree, it doesn't. I think the smell happens when I apply the throttle to start it? Maybe that is s symptom of a faulty pressure regulator but I still don't really know what to check when I have it in pieces.
88mph Wrote:When the coil was cold it produced a stronger spark, but a hot coil didn't have the power to jump in the distributor cap.
Might be worth checking.

I will check that, however it surprised me how inaccessible the distributor was for a fairly high maintenance item :?:
Ha Yeah, Looks a nightmare. I've bought a rotor arm spare for my Italian job, but didn't fancy getting in to have alook at the old one just yet!! :lol:
marty Wrote:I got 0 ohms on one side and 30 ohms on the other side.

I am curious about the pressure regulator valve. I am happy to take it apart but what actually fails inside it?

Cheers
Is that cold?what reading did you get warm/hot?
I got a new tts and the ohm readings were the same as the original.i found the only reliable test was a live test which the old part failed miserably.the test is here:
http://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/44 ... ing-2.html
It involves a battery,test lamp and the switch,I feel this is the only way to successfully test the tts.
Thanks to horsebox for the replacement part.The resistance checks never provided conclusive proof the tts was faulty.
Quote:Thanks to horsebox for the replacement part.The resistance checks never provided conclusive proof the tts was faulty.
Great news, all starting all OK now?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
All starts fine,hot,cold and anywhere in between. (At the moment lol)