Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage / Parking
Do any members keep their DeLorean on the driveway all year round?
I don't have a garage and wondered if these cars needed cover during the colder months. I'm based in London
I think the general consensus is to garage. I certainly wouldn't like my car to live outside on a permanent basis.

This very topic was discussed a little while ago by a recent new member: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5519
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
As Mike says, All cars benefit from a nice dry garage, even ali ones, but if you ain't got one, you ain't got one. A good quality, breathable cover has got to be the next best thing.
Quote:Do any members keep their DeLorean on the driveway all year round?
There are certainly a good few that live under car ports and driveways with no covers (and some with covers) and a few that live on the roadside with no issues. Personally I would not like mine to live on the roadside but they seem not to attract to much bad attention.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
My car is currently outside on the drive due to my Moggy project refusing to leave the garage-one thing I do is put a piece of polyethelyne under the rear louvre hatch but on top of the engine cover to stop any water dripping into the engine compartment, it seems to work as I get minimal oxidisation on the polished aluminium-my car cover isn't the best so it does get a little damp at the seams, even with waterproofing spray, leaving it a bit loose allows air to circulate under it when the wind blows.
A bit of WD-40 sprayed onto shiny bits helps too. Big Grin
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
My first and second DeLoreans were parked outside - the first, well, lets ignore that. The second though had a Hamilton Classic car cover. It did (and still does) a great job but there are things you cannot stop, no matter what you cover the car with.
Firstly, cats - they love a nice cover, to sit on and to scratch the hell out of. That happened. In fact, I had to get some wheels refurbed due to it (Monaro).

Second, is where the cover hangs (corners/facias) you can't stop movement and rubbing. Mine, whilst soft, still took the lacquer off the fascias at the rear.

So you take chances and it'll be cosmetic (mostly), but I wouldn't do it again.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)