Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mille Miglia, Italy. Crazy idea, Anyone been?
Early days, just thinking things over.
Now the D is MOT'd, how about seeing how famously unreliable the Delorean is? :lol:
How about a nice little 'Grand Tour' to Roma.........

http://www.1000miglia.eu/index-en.php

You can join in with the other £10,000,000 motors in the famous road rally. The Alps, Italian lakes, Pasta, wine, beautiful girls & classic cars.... Bella! Big Grin

Anyone been? Any advice?
That's a no then? :lol:
Well it would not be something I would do! :wink: come to think of it, it would get me away from the kids! Mike & Mary Hooper have taken there car around a fair chunk of Europe with no issues I think, though I think in your case I would get a few more miles on the clock locally before venturing to far. How about Norfolk in August that would give it a good run! :wink:
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I drove my D back from Sweden. My backup plan consisted of contacting various Renault/Volvo/Peugeot garages along the route asking if I could call them if I had a problem. Most were very helpful but thankfully the only assistance needed for the whole trip was how to operate a barrier to get into the gents loo.
But...slightly off topic....I've entered the Wacky Rally to Barcelona in July with (sorry chaps) a Volvo V70 I bought off Ebay for £300. For some reason the rear window was stuck down because someone had stuck a dingy behind the door card.
Steve - Bognor Regis
#16583 Black Auto.  Ex Saudi & Sweden
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
1978 Piper Warrior (AKA flying money pit)
I've only driven the Delorean twice (to the MOT station) but in theory if a car can drive 40miles trouble free it can drive 4000miles.
Well that's my logic and I'm sticking to it.
Just got to get to 40miles trouble free first!!! :lol:
I think its a great idea sure to be a 'trip of a lifetime' ...sure to put a feather in your cap.

My advice comes from having done 3 Gumballs , 2 with the D and 1 in a Lotus Esprit best advice ''don't'' consider it a race see it as a roadtrip leave the speed to the M3's & gtr's . soak up the experience pulling into the garages to fuel up or those unexpected stops pulling into a place or watering hole you have never been before, don't speak the language ...they can be sooo worthwhile Big Grin

ok before you go ...first thing I would do..change the D's thermostat down to an 83C likewise the stat down in temp . I have a philosophy of driving a car regularly don't make it a time traveller. Rectify the bugs as you go along so that the car becomes a regular driver and totally reliable.
If you decide to go on this trip get the car out regular driving and addressing the bugs , 'If in doubt with a part f$*k it out' chances are the part will fail on the trip.

It took me a couple of years to get our D TOTALLY reliable I can now take it on any long distance road trip without hesitation or worry. When I got our car the first year I put approx. 3k miles on it ALL that time sorting out the bugs after it sat in a garage for years ....today its does very little mileage the odd show or wedding...but waiting for the next road trip that's where the car belongs in my opinion.
Once you get involved it can become an addiction meeting fantastic people and making new friends that share the same interests as you. You will get known as the guy with the Delorean from the Ferrari & Lambo guys talking roads cars & scenery over a few pints. :wink:

Go for it & best of luck
Dave
Cheers for the encouragement. I won't be entering the actual time rally (it costs £8000 and you have to have a pre-1957 car) and cannot take part in the special sections, but you can join the 400+ cars at the start & drive the roads/route with them.
I definitely plan to take it as an experience & not a race. Infact from my previous road/travel experience it when things go wrong/break-down is when the best memories are made.

I got some more positive news from the hospital on Thursday (I am in remission for leukaemia) & I've just got in from seeing my brother, he's all keen to be co-driver & split the fuel costs. I'll be booking the ferry for May the 9th soon.

I've only driven the Delorean about 8 miles, and there are a few things I've noticed that need addressing (Creak from front suspension, Speedo not working, New front tyres) but I've got a general good feeling about the car. Only two previous owners from new & money recently been spent in the right areas. It feels a good car, but I guess we'll find out!! :lol:

Do we have a Swiss/Italian Delorean owners on here?
Ferry tickets bought. Mille Miglia stickers orde1`red. Big Grin
Just need to register, get number-plates and try driving the Delorean now! :lol:
88mph Wrote:I've only driven the Delorean twice (to the MOT station) but in theory if a car can drive 40miles trouble free it can drive 4000miles.
Well that's my logic and I'm sticking to it.
Just got to get to 40miles trouble free first!!! :lol:

I genuinely laughed out loud at that. Thanks, I needed a giggle. Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)