Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacking points & Axle stands & Lower arms
Hi. My project needs new tie-rod ends and a steering boot.
Make life slightly easier, wanting to get it off the ground.
Front end..........
Now I can obviously see the Jacking points, but when jack is on these, where is best place to put the supporting Axle stands?
Plus if I want to bring up the dangling wheels, any problems putting the jack under those 'delicate' lower arms?

Pics would be great. Big Grin
Here you go Karl, pic's from dmctalk. I have our project car propped up as in the pictures.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Perfect! Big Grin
Personally I try to avoid jacking the car on the underbody. Mine is early, (not that it really matters), and I just dont trust the "reinforced" jacking points.

Once, the small metal part pushed slightly into the underbody, with some cracking noises. That was enough for me!!

So I use a low jack on the frame.

Only problem is after I fitted new lowering springs I then couldn't get the jack out!

Just my thoughts

a
Thoughts on those suspension lower arms?
To get the front of car off the ground initially, I have always used the jacking points.

Using a big fat block of wood between the jack and the under body. Personally I have never had an issue jacking the car up using this method, just my 2p.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
88mph Wrote:Thoughts on those suspension lower arms?

I use a large piece of wood under the lowest part of the LCA (not the outermost part).

Mine are already pretty flattened by less careful PO's tho!
My cars sit for weeks on end on my lift, using the jacking points near the f/glass sills…never had a problem…..its up there now!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:My cars sit for weeks on end on my lift, using the jacking points near the f/glass sills…never had a problem…..its up there now!

Well, thats fine, but as it was me who was sliding the axle stands under the frame, when the almighty cracking noise started and the metal jacking point started crunching into the underbody, I plan to play it safe in future!

Admittedly the wooden block upon which it was being jacked would never have itself gone into the underbody, it still didn't fill me with confidence!

andy
I have got to say I always use the frame to jack the car up as well, however I think if I was fortunate to have a four post lift that can lift the car equally I think that would be fine as all the stress is equally spread across the tub.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
yes I think your right Chris,

sticking a jack under one corner of the tub would cause all sorts of stresses and distortions ….it must have been designed to stand that…but...
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian