Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to buy a Delorean
Hi guys,
I've been pretty much saving hard for the past 6 years with the focus being on buying a Delorean. I have now got to the stage where i am now looking to buy and wondered if any of you nice people knew of any available ones? I have seen three on ebay, but wondered if there are any others about. I'm looking for one i can drive and use straight away, rather than a project, although i imagine they are all pretty much ongoing projects of some description., being classic cars.Your help is greatly appreciated.
VIN 4400
Newbie myself, but what kinda budget you thinking for a runner?
From my limited knowledge you're looking mid -20's for a tax and tested one here.
If budget is less the U.S. is an option for more reasonable priced cars but you are taking a gamble on lots of things on internet purchases so prices need to be lower to make the risks worth-while.
Do as much research as possible (unlike me), get a good feel for the seller & ,imo, only buy runners without viewing.
Obviously dry state cars should be good on rust issues but the sun also causes its own set of problems!
Good luck out there.
Hi
Thanks for your email and great advice. I have enough for mid twenties as a budget and don't feel that confident buying and importing from the US. I've had a couple of potential cars pop up already from UK owners, so fingers crossed. Did you buy yours in the UK or import it? Thanks. Mark
VIN 4400
I bought off US ebay, total gamble, turned up New Years eve.
I haven't done anything or even seen it since.
There is a YouTube link on my "deposit paid" thread. It's a walk-around video and may give you an idea of what to look for.
Cheers buddy, Karl.
88mph Wrote:From my limited knowledge you're looking mid -20's for a tax and tested one here.
From the rate that the prices have shot up within the last 12 months, a car purchased for mid 20's would most likely need work doing on it. With current prices I would estimate high twenties to mid thirties for a properly sorted car.

Of course, with a budget of mid twenties, that should secure a good example from the US with change to spare to fix any issues as they arise.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Thanks Karl & Mike, some great advice. I can go higher then mid twenties, it's just to see what I get for my money before committing more money. I really appreciate your comments. Mark
VIN 4400
I still think tho car looks a good buy up to about £15K…… http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ebaymotors/DeLore ... 500wt_1205

Not sure if the link works!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks Chris, thats great. I shall keep and eye on it. Cheers.
VIN 4400
the ebay one in New York looks ok on the face of it.What I done was trawl through Craigslist and ring a few sellers,If some do not sound "right" return calls or emails or don't want to deal with a UK buyer move on.If the seller is willing to work with you and communicate purchasing from the states is relatively pain free in my experience.
Thanks. I am looking at a few cars at the moment and yes, some are very friendly and reply and some less so. Good advice, thanks.
VIN 4400