Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Functional hovering DMC?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/78 ... ry_popular

Kickstarter effort to "transform a DeLorean sports car into the HoverCar™, a flying car with Vertical Take Off & Landing capabilities"
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Direct quote: "Regardless of the HoverCar’s™ success at flight, it will be a completely functional driving car. High horsepower, lightweight, and an All-Wheel-Drive system mean that the HoverCar™ will be one of the fastest sports cars you will ever have the opportunity to ride in — It will accelerate from 0 to 60 in about 2 seconds, or 0 to 88 in about 3."

Who needs a Legend Twin turbo......
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Nice to see he has put a lot of thought/plans into this, not sure he will get enough backing but good luck to him Big Grin
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
i'm not sure this would be a hit in the "Dragons Den."
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I'm honestly wasn't sure if this was deadpan parody or insane optimism until I got to the last part, where he said that the car will be equipped with dual ejection seats. Smile
I hate to be the pessimistic naysayer here but what a load of crap. Is that serious or is it a joke?

Paul Moller has been working on the idea of a hover car for 3 decades. Here is the thing about quad rotor EDF's...there is no pitch control. Thrust is controled by rpm alone. In an airplane, motor fails you can glide. A helicopter can auto, but a quad? If just one fan fails or even has a problem you fall like a rock. In fact if one function fails suck as a gyro or anythjng related to stability control it's almost a guaranteed crash. Those little wheels that are fans? The power demands of 4 ducted fans? That's serious weight for any realistic run time, that is if your fans can spin fast enough to even lift everything. Most fan units spin in the neighborhood of 50k rpm because unlike a rotor driven lift, there is no wing area to produce lift. Thrust is the object and to get thrust you need rpm. I dont think 7k would barely make it light on it's feet.

Instead of Cool Adobe Aftereffects and CAD animations, how about some info on the thrust you expect to make from one of those wheel fans. I didn't even see a thrust cone involved, is he telling me he is going to get enough static thrust from an EDF spinning at a mere 7k (using a compressor blade on top of that) to fly a Delorean around without even compressing the thrust?

So much to overcome. Check out the M400 and look at what kind of power and engine size is needed to lift a object the size of a car off the ground.
DMCTodayMichael Wrote:If just one fan fails or even has a problem you fall like a rock. The power demands of 4 ducted fans?

It's a joke. Towards the end it has things like 'if one fan fails the car can fly on the remaining three' and 'in an emergency the doors will eject with explosive charges and descend on seperate parachutes, while the car itself will have emergency parachutes at the front and rear'.
I didn't read it in enough detail to pick all that out…..call me humourless, but its all a bit of a waste of effort. Or am I being an old spoil-sport? Sad
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:call me humourless, but its all a bit of a waste of effort. Or am I being an old spoil-sport? Sad
Bahhh Humbug :lol: you have to admire the effort though.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584