Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dash-mounted Vin plate painting
Does anyone know if any cars ever came out of the factory with their dash-mounted Vin plates painted?

I'm thinking of painting mine.

The reason is one of practicality more than anything. When you're driving in the sunshine, the plate reflects the sun on to the inside of the windscreen and impairs your view with an annoying "heads up display" of a shiny rectangle.

Is this something the company thought about and ended up painting them or were they all painted, but mine has since been taken back to bare metal?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I believe the dash plates were anodized.

There were some different types of dash plate as well. With yours being an early vin you may well have the early style plate on your car?

Early Style Dash Vin Plate
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dIaaZsBu_AE/U ... G_5667.JPG

Late Style Dash Vin Plate
http://www.babbtechnology.com/forsale/I ... intag2.jpg
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Mine looks like the late type. I.e. No painted emblem or writing on it. Just plain.

So none ever came painted then? Fully over-painted I mean?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Some were painted, most of the RHD's plus some early cars, not sure how wingspread it was.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:Some were painted, most of the RHD's plus some early cars, not sure how wingspread it was.

814's is painted, (without the printing as per 520's), but I am also not sure how just wide the wings were spread... :wink:

a (smartarse)
A Freudian slip…….or flight of fancy……or whatever…..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
If it interferes with your driving and you are worried about losing originality, why not just stick a piece of electrical tape over it?

I honestly couldn't imagine painting a vin plate (and doing a good job of it) without taking the dash out.
DMCTodayMichael Wrote:If it interferes with your driving and you are worried about losing originality, why not just stick a piece of electrical tape over it?

I honestly couldn't imagine painting a vin plate (and doing a good job of it) without taking the dash out.

I thought about electrical tape....for about 10 secs. I thought "nah, that would look naff".

As for taking the dash out. I've got no intention of doing that, not for the Vin plate anyway.

I'm pretty dab-handed at stuff like that. I'm sure I could do a good (simple) job. I might later on, if/when I need to remove the dash, do a better job. Maybe try to make it look similar to an early plate...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I Chris,

I recon you could mask up a bit chunk of dash and w/screen, then experiment with a spray can, at a fairly long range to get a mottled effect. It you weren't happy with it, a quick wipe with thinners and try again. Not much to loose really.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian