Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here, but not new to DeLoreans
Hello all!

My name is Michael and I have owned my car for almost 6 years now. It is a remanufactured 81 black interior, stage II auto. I have been active on the DMCTalk.org and the .com site before things blew up, but things and policies change and I decided to step away about 5 or 6 months ago. I then joined the "rag tag" group of owners and enthusiasts at DMCToday.com and am very active there. We are small, but close and continue to grow.

I never knew how deep this site here was until I joined. What an amazing hoard of information, and you have your own magazine available too? Color me impressed! Even though I can't make meets and shows, I an going to look into joining just for the magazine subscription. I do have to confess, there is one big reason I finally decided to check this place out for myself.

I am on the verge of bringing an automatic transmission filter to market. When I bought my car, It had 1,700 miles on the NOS engine and transmission. I changed the fluid then along with a complete service(yes I am an "over maintainer" when it comes to my car). Over the years I serviced my transmission about every 15 months give or take...all the time cleaning the filter best I could with brake cleaner. Now however, it's more than just time since last service, the mileage is an issue. The car now has 20k miles on it and just changing the fluid isn't going to cut it. I was very surprised to find out there were no filters available for the auto transmission, not now, not since the 80's. Maybe that was OK in that time, even the 90's and the 2000 era, but now it's 2014 and the low mileage cars are starting to see 15 and 20k miles now.

I am having a very small run of 250 filters made. We are using the original filter for all materials sourcing such as screen mesh size, and case dimensions, etc. so it's going to be exactly like the OE filters. I hope to have these in my hands and ready to sell in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

Anyway, I got off topic. I will start a thread when we are ready to start selling. I look forward to becoming a "regular" here and sharing any info that I can. As far as myself, I live in Tennessee and I am an artsy guy, I do a lot of art inspired projects which I love to share with anyone. I built a small illuminated DMC dealer sign about a year ago which turned out great. I enjoy building sci-fi models realistically illuminated and I do a lot of art work. I like to run and bike, and any spare time I have when the weather turns is spent on my car. I regularly put it on a lift and wax the frame, polish the suspension, and clean everything that has a speck of dirt on it. It's either that or watch "Dancing with the Stars" with my wife. I would have never thought that I would be lucky enough to own my dream car. I bought it in Feb of 2009 and I joke my wife that my anniversary is coming up soon every time Feb 25th rolls around. She didn't get the whole DeLorean thing at first, but she has quickly had a change of heart when she sees how happy I am to own one, and she saw how much attention she gets. Now when we go out on a date, she is always asking "Are we taking your car out tonight?....gotta love it.

Here are a few pics of my baby:

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Welcome aboard! I'm a 5-speed owner myself, but have been following your progress on Today for AT Filter. Top work, and hopefully a boon to all the auto owners out there!

Not a fan of the engine bay lighting myself, but I've seen some of the work you've done via Talk/Today and you have a very tidy car. Welcome to the UK club, I'm sure you'll fit in nicely Big Grin
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the forum, I do indeed remember you from DMCTalk. and good to see you over hear. Sounds like a good project that you have going on with the filters and please feel free to post the details in the 'For Sale' section when your ready. As for magazines we have had a very large upturn in overseas membership since the demise of DMCH magazine and we ship them all over the world now, unfortunately though the shipping costs are so high now in the UK for overseas we recently had to increase our membership rates (overseas only) however details can be found hear on owners club membership: http://deloreans.co.uk/product-category ... -packages/
It does look a very nice car you have, I wish mine was that clean underneath! One other thing, what's the deal with signing up to DMCToday? no matter what combination of number of wheels a DeLorean has it never accepts the answer I give!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Welcome Michael,

"Waxing the frame, polish the suspension".....at last another Delorean owner as OCD as me!!! Big Grin

Not up to speed on your US DMC forum politics (and dont need to know), but we still have opinions here you know, just no hand guns, so have to kiss and make up :wink:

Welcome again to our UK following, we have a great deal of information here so hopefully it will benefit a fellow enthusiast like yourself.

Kind regards
Darren
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Jwrayth
Altbough I have done a few tasteful mods to my car, I fully know how taste can be subjective. That's why everything I have done is non intrusive and 100% reversible. No cutting or drilling.
I am very excited about the AT filters, I dont expect to make much money off of these, in fact my goal is to just break even. It's just something I wanted to do for the experience.

Chris,
from the images that I have seen just of the magazine covers, the photo and art work look top notch!
I have sent a message to the owner of Dmctoday.com and hopefully get the security issue worked out. You are the second person thats had trouble with the security question. It's possible that your password fields reset when you are redirected to retype the security question. Whatever it is, Steve will get it fixed soon.

Darren,
I really enjoy cleaning the chassis. The only thing, my car is too clean to really enjoy. I cant just go off and enjoy a cruise without worrying about a spring shower. I probably wouldn't be that anal about it had it not been so clean when I got it.
As far as politics is concerned, I'm not one of those in your face types that tries to force his opinion on anyone whether they want it or not, but I am opinionated and I'm vocal about things that I'm passionate about. What goes on in this world is important to us all and my world stretches beyond my car, by great lengths.
At today we just like to talk about whatever comes up. It's nice to be able to talk about what's going on in the news without being displined for it.

Anyway thanks all for the welcome and feel free to visit us at Today anytime. We are not a wine and cigar club, more of a converted garage with bean bags, a cooler of beer, a 13" B+W tele with rabbit ears.
I admit I haven't checked for several years, but I was supplying Rob Grady with AT filters in the early noughties. They were then still available from Renault.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Welcome Michael.

Today is a great tech resource, I recently use Bill and Steves a/c flushing method with great success, my car now has working a/c for the first time in my 4 years of ownership.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
stunned_monkey Wrote:I admit I haven't checked for several years, but I was supplying Rob Grady with AT filters in the early noughties. They were then still available from Renault.
I guess a lot can change in 22 years. About 2 or 3 years ago I searched high and low for just one new filter. I couldn't locate one. Dave Swingle said the last one he saw went on ebay for 80 dollars. David Tetilbaum said they are unobtainable. I also read all about Renaults batch of filters that were assembled incorrectly. The reinforcement plate was in front of the filter mesh allowing it to get sucked up into the body and restricting the flow and more than a few transmissions bought the farm due to that.
Welcome here Michael Smile
I do too remember your post on DMCTalk.
Just curious, but is there really a difference between talk or today for a non US member?
I am a member of the UK club and I can confirm they have a great color magazine, you won't be disappointed :wink:
Domi Wrote:Welcome here Michael Smile
I do too remember your post on DMCTalk.
Just curious, but is there really a difference between talk or today for a non US member?
I am a member of the UK club and I can confirm they have a great color magazine, you won't be disappointed :wink:
Lets not get into that here. To be honest for most people there is no difference, but that's all in the past. :wink:
Sure, no problem Wink
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

As a former 'electro-plater' I couldn't help noticing from photo's you seem to have gone down the gold paint route rather than re-plating your brake callipers and back plates. Was this something you considered or is re-zinc plating and yellow passivating difficult to get done in the states? Envionmental issues are getting tougher all the time for platers in the UK. (But being retired It does not now effect me.)

Lovely looking car BTW.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I own a small business where we do small paint repairs to cars, so automotive paint is my thing.

The calipers were nice zinc plated when I got the car, but the constant cleaning I did wore the plating thin in places and they looked old even when I scrubbed them clean. It was a mix up of crazed silver and yellow. The plating looked great new but it just didn't hold up long term.

I have had very good results with automotive paint on calipers. It holds up well and stands the solvents I use when I clean the brake dust from them. It was also much easier since all I had to do was remove the pads, pins, etc. to prep and paint. If I were to zinc plate them I would have to remove them, wait, reinstall, bleed. It just made sense to me given my field.

As far as I know there are platers around here, but I never really looked. I can tell you that the EPA is a pain here in the States.
Not wishing to hijack the thread (welcome from me too by the way Big Grin )
I refurbished my front brake callipers during the summer this year. I went the route of painting mine too. Except I used engine enamel for a really good hard-wearing long-lasting result. Very pleased with the results myself (although not gold like yours)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Loving that engine bay..... Big Grin

JohnC