Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May I present...
VIN 4566.

A few of you are already in the know; but I finally have a date for her hitting my driveway (next Monday) so I can now get excited!

Up until now, I've kept fairly quiet (you know, in case the ship sank) but I think I have a little gem here. And if not, I'll still save her. All DeLoreans need saving, right?

So, a little background for those that don't know me. I, like many of you, have loved the DMC-12 since I was knee high to a grass hopper (lovely term, that). I first got involved in the mid-90s with the DOA in the US (and having moved house recently, have discovered a few old mags). I stumbled across the DOC in around '97 and met with Chris P, Martin G and few others at Silverstone soon after. My very first "bum on seat" event was in Chris's RHD that he's recently reacquired. Smile

I bought my first DeLorean in.. ooh, 1999/2000 I think. That car was a NYC car, painted in Silver (sparkly), with all sorts of additions. I began, but didn't finish, her restoration (VIN 5641). I sold her, moved in to my first house and then popped out to Ohio and bought a "good" car. Whatever that is! - Anyway, I kept VIN 5284 for a couple of years and then sold again for various reasons (house moves/financial etc). Then it kinda went quiet.

Over the past 2/3 years I've kept my eye out of a car that needed saving, but wasn't at "good" money. Plenty pop up at money I'd not want to spend on any car, let alone a project (purchase, not over time) and as Claire will attest, I probably said the same thing every year at the NEC. "Yes, I'm looking", "No, nothing out there" etc. I guess I was looking for a straight-ish car with no engine, or something fundamentally wrong with it.

Fast forward to 2014. Another house move (a significant one) and then, like too many buses, there comes my car. Now, I'm in no position to buy a restoration DeLorean having just committed to a fairly large mortgage, AND a new job. But, there it was, asking ME to bring her home. How do you say "no" to that?

Really. How?

[Image: 15891425721_db1205e3f0_z.jpg]VIN 4566 by willisit, on Flickr

Long and short. She arrives Monday. She's a non-running, late '81, grey interior, manual (that's how I like 'em). I intend to do many things. It will take me some time, so bear with me!

Click the "VIN 4566" thingy for 50-odd pics from the dealer. More next week when she arrives (hopefully still like that) and then perhaps more in the new year when I've recovered from it all. Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Great stuff, typical 'dry & hot' state car. I'm sure you will have it up and running soon Big Grin
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
House moves have a lot to answer for when it comes to parting with DeLoreans.

I remember helping you strip the paint off some of your panels …..horrible job, even with the industrial sized baths of paint stripper at my my former works.

I clearly remember you showing up at the pub near Siverstone, a very young lad…all on his own. My Mrs thought you were quite brave…. Still, I think we looked after you OK.

I recon you should have your new car running in a few days. I think i'd clean the tank out before putting a battery on it.

Good luck Dan. ( it was great to see you again at the NEC the other week)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks both.

Yes Chris, you certainly did look after me. I look back fondly on that weekend.

This one is a keeper though, now. I've had enough of DeLoreans coming and going. Certainly, there may be other DeLoreans that may join this one, but I intend to do a good job here. I'll see how quickly I can get her running (tank/pump etc allowing) and then review what's next (most importantly, a windscreen!).

Fun times a-coming.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

just noticed Dan, your Maddie and my DeLores are were only 3 vins apart!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Really? I'll let Stuart know Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Hi Dan,

4566 is only 34 away from my VIN 4532, and considering they made 40 a day/shift it most likely our cars came off the line on the SAME day Shock

Those dealer pics are taken at "The Beverley Hills Car Club" I recognise the crack in the concrete floor and white background...I know, I know.....it's an OCD thing :lol:
VIN 4532

DOC-574
One pic of the rear has their plate on it too... Smile

Same day.. wow. Awesome!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

When I saw that first picture, I thought you bought the one without the chassis, but i see it's still for sale at their website ... (good luck with that Big Grin ).

PS. Only 44 away from mine .... Smile
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Quote:4566 is only 34 away from my VIN 4532, and considering they made 40 a day/shift it most likely our cars came off the line on the SAME day Shock
My old car was #4584 we must have bought a job lot of cars from the same day!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Pity it was a Friday afternoon that day :lol:
VIN 4532

DOC-574
My DeLorean has arrived. The other, black-auto, car was also at the port (and was pretty much a steal if the owner is here.. well done!).

As seems to be the way, mine took a beating. One tyre (rear) is off the rim and ruined. The other rear clearly had supports tied to it and the steel banding is showing. Yes, the tyres were trash anyway, but getting the old girl my garage without a rear tyre was in itself, a mission.

That said, she is here. First steps are to... leave it well alone until next year. I don't have the funds or time (mostly time) to do anything worth the time. I'm pretty keen not to start disassembling the car if I don't intend to rectify any work done.

Pics are here:
[Image: 15300957984_c756ca05c4_z.jpg]DeLorean VIN 4566 by willisit, on Flickr
[Image: 15303543723_3217f1e37d_z.jpg]DeLorean VIN 4566 by willisit, on Flickr
[Image: 15737450797_bca2180aff_z.jpg]DeLorean VIN 4566 by willisit, on Flickr
[Image: 15923185525_952ec95771_z.jpg]DeLorean VIN 4566 by willisit, on Flickr

Just a couple to prove she's in the UK. Smile - CCTV is set up so I can at least look at her car cover...

So, quick list of obvious stuff I noticed:

Windscreen cap is dented and needs replacing (and the windscreen). Looks like something dropped on to it. Luckily, nothing serious.
Interior passenger trim is "screwed" on but.. alas, not. So that's unlikely to be salvageable.
All trim sun damaged (again, known and not a worry)
Headlining is toast (I hear the intake of breath there.. such a surprise!... not)
Wheels/tyres need seeing to
No battery - so she might actually run. I've no idea. Looks like it's been battery-less for a LONG time. So, fluids first and maybe a crank...
Electric aerial is in two bits Sad
Door struts do nothing at all Tongue

But, you know what? She's complete. The bodywork is better than I'd hoped too.

Plus I'm chuffed to bits. I have another DeLorean! Big Grin
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Congratulations Dan Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cant wait to see it in the flesh!
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Congratulation on you purchase Wink
So Dan, it's no accident that you've bought a project car... What's the plan with the performance with it?

As you have had a Monaro (under the cover on the right?) and 993 I'm sure these have given you a taste for power and you would never modify a car that was in such good nick to start with :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed