Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Won't Start - Coil?
Do you now have a good healthy spark from your spark plugs?

Quote:I tested the injectors by pressing down on the plate to see if fuel would come out, none did...

Have you actually removed an injector and determined whether it is firing?

Quote:So would this kink (eventually causing the split) prevent fuel from passing to the injectors?

The frequency valve regulates the mixture. With the kink in the pipe, this would cause the mixture to run lean, but wouldn't stop it entirely. Have you replaced the pipe?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Tourettes Tony Wrote:Hi Barzo, im assuming you are doing a total restoration on this car,dont panic you will get there in the end Cheers TT

I appreciate that Smile

cheers.

----
Rich
Quote:Do you now have a good healthy spark from your spark plugs?
Yes I'm getting a nice bright blue spark on the ones I've removed. (One was giving a blue spark on the tip - where it should be - but also giving a nasty yellow spark off to the side.) I've decided to replace all my plugs and HT leads, anyway.

Quote:Have you actually removed an injector and determined whether it is firing?
The one that I removed was giving a tsst tsst tsst sound, but no fuel was coming out :/

Quote:The frequency valve regulates the mixture. With the kink in the pipe, this would cause the mixture to run lean, but wouldn't stop it entirely. Have you replaced the pipe?

hmm. As you can see from the previous pic I've knackered the return line from the frequency valve, so I will have to get a replacement/get Canvey Island to sort me out...

Anybody had any experience in fitting a bango bolt onto the core lines before? Thought I might do it myself, but I don't have the tools/expertise.

thanks for your help.

Barzo.
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Anybody had any experience in fitting a bango bolt onto the core lines before? Thought I might do it myself, but I don't have the tools/expertise.

thanks for your help.

Barzo.[/quote]

I personally wouldnt even try it im sure Mr Nicholson and Mr Lambert will sort you out Cheers Tony TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Barson Wrote:well, saved me a job (and dosh). New Fuel Accumulator Smile

[Image: accum.jpg]

slightly off topic, i guess.

EDIT:

Split in the frequency valve return line. PIC:

[Image: split.jpg]

So would this kink (eventually causing the split) prevent fuel from passing to the injectors?

Barzo.

I might have a complete spare pipe with the ends.
Let me know the internal diameter of the banjo bolt, the length of the pipe and the connector type on the end to double check.

NickT.
well, the banjo internal is 12mm the barb internal is 5mm. The hose is (was) approx 280mm in length. the other end looks like this:

[Image: freq.jpg]

cheers Nick.

even if you had the pipe, I'm not sure how i'd install it, you see as it connects diretly to the valve.
It's alright if you don't have anything, I can ask PJ Gradys to see what they've got. I need to go to them for some other things. Thanks for coming to the rescue again Smile.

Barzo.
- Dave Smith

BRUMMMM!!!!!

BRUMMMMMM!!!!!!!

:lol: Big Grin

at last I got the thing running.

At first it would run high idle for 2 seconds then cut out - the fuel pump would still run (? - any ideas) and wouldn't shut off 'till I turned the key off.

it did that a bunch of times then finally would stay idling and smooth out.

Sounds more healthy than it did before. Doesn't hunt any more and the revs are more responsive.

Exhause still stinks. I'll work that out later.

/goes to bed
- Dave Smith

glad you got it sorted mate. A smelly exhaust could just mean that the car is running a bit rich and needs setting up properly.

I'm sure NickT will advise! :wink:

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
If you turn your key to position 2 does your pump prime and then cut off after a second or so or does it run constantly then ?

If your exhaust fumes 'burns your eyes' it sounds like its running rich .
Claire Usher Wrote:glad you got it sorted mate. A smelly exhaust could just mean that the car is running a bit rich and needs setting up properly.

I'm sure NickT will advise! :wink:

Cheers,

Do fuel pressure tests first :wink:

NickT
Yeah I'll do that. It may diagnose what's up with the pump. It's taking ages to pressurize the system. It's not taking three or four seconds but more like ten - fifteen. The engine will run OK, if not a little rich (my eyes, my eyes, my beautiful eyes!).

Could the pump be worn down? it makes a racket although not as bad as before i installed hervey's pick-up system.

Another thing the engine is making a knocking (not a tapping) sound which is coming from the right hand side rocker box area. It wasn't there before. It's loud and deffo not the injectors opening/shutting.

In an effort to get the engine running I purchased (amongst other things) 6 new plugs. I changed them over at weekend - except No3, which is fast. I've tried WD 40 down the hole, 3 in 1 penetrant down the hole and I've nearly given myself a hernia trying to get the thing out. I failed, so I've left it in (for now). Would this old plug be causing the knocking sound? Not the plug itself, but would it have an effect on No 3 cylinder causing the sound?

Or is it more likely timing? Cry I did have the ignition distributor off. Thought I’d set it up right when I put it back.

I'll post clips/WAVs tomorrow, see what you think.

thanks for your help.

Barzo.
- Dave Smith