Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin 16648
Hi guys,

I am trying to trace the history of my new baby!

I bought it at the start of the year, it was in California, and I had it shipped over. (I used Hill Shipping as reccomended by another member, although they weren't the best with updating me, it all went without a hitch) - it has had a lot of work done to bring it back up to road worthiness. The car has done only 3100 miles, and had been sat for 15 years. I bought it from a wealthy older American gentleman, who said he had had the car just over 15 years, boght for his wife who could not use it (or didn't like to).

The chassis and the body panels are flawless, the interior (black/automatic) is also in very good condition) - (considering it was in CA, the binnacle etc are in mint condition, I think it was in a garage most of it's life.)

There was an aftermarket turbo fitted (a BAE turbocharger) and we have a feeling that there has been a high lift cam fitted in the engine - clearly the American who had it originally was a bit of a petrol head! The car hunts for it's idle, and is very sluggish when pulling away, but once it gets to a certain speed, it is like a rocket.

I would love to know more about the history and if there is anything I can do to improve the low gear performance.

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,

looks a lovely car.

i'm afraid I have nothing on it ..i do have some photo's of a BAE turbo set up on Frenchy….but hardly to be recommended as it had blown the engine.

Nick T ended up with the Turbo….not sure if he ever used it.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for this Chris

So would you suggest removing the Turbo then, to stop it blowing the engine? Could this also remove the sluggish-ness of the car pulling away?
Personally I definitely would. But other folk may have different ideas.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Interesting side stripe with its 3 lines.
Do you have some pictures of your engine?
Yeah I like the thick black strip as on Pauls car.
Is it available still? What year cars was it put on?
Quote:What year cars was it put on?
It was a dealer option (along with a thin stripe) James RG does sell these in the UK http://www.newoldbits.co.uk/ or can be contacted through the forum
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Dealer option for the wide side stripe has only two lines, so, I think it is home made.
Maybe the previous owner will be able to explain what he did?