Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vin numbers & number plates
Can someone briefly explain the vin numbers at Delorean? Was the first car 00001, the next off the line 00002 and so on? What is classed as early? Late? What did they get up to?
I've never imported a vehicle before, how does the number plate assignment work? Do you get any choices? Or stuck with what you're given. Do you have to have a age related plate?
Cheers. :|
Vin 500 was the first official car made at Dunmurry in late 1980. There were also a dozen or so mules / Pilot cars made before this, mostly at Lotus. The first first saleable one was supposed to be vin 560 built in Jan 81…..but the next couple of hundred were all really pre-production. Of the pre vin 560 cars quite a few still survive. ( I've had vin 510 and vin 522)

There are several gaps in the vin numbers sequences with the last cars being vinned in 1983. I used to have 20049. But they only produced about 9,000 cars..not 20,000.

Most cars get an W or X reg, but there is nothing to stop transferring a different reg number onto the car as long as you don't try and make it look newer than it is. Northern Irish numbers look nice on them and can be had for a few hundred pounds. There are lots of threads covering this in the forum archives.

The engine and Frame numbers tell a more accurate story about these last cars made. 9419 and 10067.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks Chris, tis abit clearer. Smile