Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'Day fella's. Newbie thinking about a Delorean.
Call me a mad as a box of frogs, but I'm thinking about getting one of these unique motors.
Love their history, the shear risk taking of Mr D, and the bonkers look!!! Tongue

I've been diagnosed with AML (Leukaemia) I'm in Hospital as I write this, having just got through 23 doses of chemo.
This has been a life changing event, as I'm sure you can imagine. You never know what's coming, so why wait?
The only thing that matters in life is Love, health & happiness.
I think a DMC can sum up much of that, I love the look & I'm sure (a good one :lol: ) would spread much happiness to me and the on-lookers. Sorry to get abit deep/weird.

I have always been quite DIY mechanical, keep my old VW's on the road, but would love advice/pointing in the right direction, on getting a good DMC 12 for reasonable money, to spread fun and happiness and not cursing, money pit & grazed knuckles!!! Possible? :lol:

Love & health to you all! 8)
Hi and welcome to the forum, I guess one of the best ways to get an idea of the cars is to try and find one local to have a look at, or if your up to it pop along to one of the two upcoming major classic car shows the first at Manchester this weekend and then in November at the NEC in Birmingham.
Either way if you can get to see one it will give you an idea of what they are like and how one would fit in with your life.
Chris.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for reply. No, no chance of me making those dates atm.
They won't even let me out of my isolation room until around the 10th October (all being well) as I have no immune system atm. The Chemo kills off the cancer but a side effect is it also kills off your healthy stem-cells, that produce your white blood cells (your immune system).
Wife isn't keen but leukaemia does tend to give you a get out of jail free card!!!! :lol:
Thought I'd spend my forced bed rest learning more about these weird motors!
Love and health..........
hey '88mph', sorry to read about your illness, cancer of any form is an utter b***ard and has taken
two of my rellies already this year Sad

When you are fit and well, you will be made more then welcome at a Club event.

Best wishes to you
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
:Hugs:
I think my first thing is to find out is if I'll fit in one.
I'm a big old unit 105.6kg (doc's tell me every day) and 6'5" tall.
Some cars (Lambo track day.. Cry ) I just won't get in. Is the DMC one of them?
I'm 6'5" and I fit perfectly in a DeLorean ...

Oh, and I know the Lamborghini-feeling ; I once had the keys to a Countach in my hands and I simply couldn't fit inside ... (I think the owner secretly knew ...)
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
88mph Wrote::Hugs:
I think my first thing is to find out is if I'll fit in one.
I'm a big old unit 105.6kg (doc's tell me every day) and 6'5" tall.
Some cars (Lambo track day.. Cry ) I just won't get in. Is the DMC one of them?

Andy Wrote:I'm 6'5" and I fit perfectly in a DeLorean ...

Oh, and I know the Lamborghini-feeling ; I once had the keys to a Countach in my hands and I simply couldn't fit inside ... (I think the owner secretly knew ...)

Ditto, 6'5" as well. No problems although I have perfected folding my legs just right for getting in and out. You'll be fine though so no worries about you being to big, I had the same concerns before I bought mine! Best of Luck!!! Big Grin
1981 Restored Black Interior Auto
&
1981 DeLorean Time Machine 2015 edition

http://www.backtothefuturedeloreanhire.co.uk

http://www.deloreanhire.com
Funnily enough, I was out in my car last night and a 6' 7" chap was admiring it. I insisted he had a sit in…..he was fine and could easily have driven it.

Hope the Chemo works OK and we see at 'Lotus15" next Aug. 14th / 15th/ 16th. Book the hotel soon and give yourself a target to work towards!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Good news about fitting, I'd read that Mr D was 6'4" & was hoping he hadn't built a car he couldn't fit in!! :lol:
I've been feeling abit rough lately but have had some good news about the genetic make-up of my Leukaemia and that it is a type the usually responds very well (ie dies) to chemo.
Love & health......
Hello to you and hope your treatment continues to go well. Keep checking out sites like car and classic. I picked mine up for 17500 and spent £2000 re commissioning it. I have been told on good authority that its already worth more than I've spent. Oh and just to carry on the tall trend in Delorean owners, I'm 6ft 4inch and I find It surprisingly comfortable.
Hope to meet you at lotus meet next August

All the best

Kris
Vin1373 check out ashbrookweddingcars.co.uk& very soon, deloreanhirenortheast.co.uk
Hi, yeah depending on how things pan out & what I feel up to, I wouldn't mind alittle tinkering to get it just right.
If anyone spots one, (a minty RHD, hidden away, that the ex-wife just wants shot of) give us a shout!! :lol:
I heard somewhere that the later, (82) cars were better put together.
Also what are peoples thoughts of the auto boxes put in the DMC? I'd imagine a late 70's autobox would be very clunky. Am I best sticking to a manual.
Feel free to PM if you like.
Love and Health..........
the autobox isnt too bad............ Phill's is auto as he likes, them. Its pretty much the same unit
that went in the Renault 30 - if you look at a R30 auto gear shifter, bar the badges, its identical.

The auto governor computers can be troublesome, but a Club member can rebuild them for you if need be.

Auto's do tend to be cheaper then manuals over here, and also, surprisingly, less automatics were built.

Personally, I like my manual transmission (again Renault), in a sporty car, I like to drive it, not it drive me
if you get my drift - however in our V6 Avantime, the autobox is great (5spd auto or you can put it in 'manual mode'),
and is perfectly suited to the big old barge Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I agree with Claire, my current car is an Auto and I've had a coupe of other Auto's which were perfectly fine…..BUT…I enjoyed driving my manual cars much more, vin 522 was like 'a bat out of hell' !

Manuals tend to be more engaging and you soon get used to changing gear with your right hand.

Having said all that, i'd much sooner have an Auto DeLorean than no DeLorean.

If anyone has a spare manual g/box i'd be very interested and could part X a new Auto one.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian