Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing water pump with Volvo part
Progress report-I found a local engineering shop who drilled and tapped the side of the housing for £20, just waiting for the weekend to get stuck into replacing the pump just in time for winter....... :lol:
I'll keep the old pump with a view to getting it refurbished some time in the future-hopefully I'll get 40k out of the new one!
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Watch out for seized bolts fixing the impeller housing to the pump body and seized bolts fixing the pump to the engine. :roll:
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Nothing was seized and it came apart easily-did it b*ll*cks! I pump retaining bolt virtually fell out, the other gave in after a short session with the knocking stick and the lower one had been sheared off by the P.O. who obviously decided to leave well alone after that! Pumps the original with 81 stamped on it, 3 off the rear cover retaining bolts sheared off but otherwise no problem.
As I'm in this far, I'm changing the vacuum pipes, checking the plugs and generally cleaning tons of crap out-only casualty was one of the fuel line copper washers which went AWOL under the car, but all in all a pleasant excursion into the Valley of Death.
It should be back in one piece next week-or the week after........ :lol:
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
A bit more progress-the VOD is cleaned and painted, new silicone pipes attached,plugs cleaned and gapped and silly little jobs done, fuel injection system on the bench getting cleaned and polished-I've forgotten what I'm originally doing here! :lol:
I'm sure it was a side marker giving you jip?

Isn't it amazing how one simple job escalates on these cars.

Imagine one little side marker bulb requiring a partial engine strip down. You couldn't put it in a book. No-one would believe it to be anything other than fiction. Lol!

(Sorry to interrupt, carry on :lol: )
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
All done, only took 3 hours! The remains of a drilled out bolt told the story of an event in the past of a P.O. attempt to fit a new pump-pretty sure he didn't do it if the odd bolts were anything to go by.
Well worth the hassle, new silicone vacuum pipes have really improved the idle and there seems to be a bit more umph with the plugs adjusted-timing was still spot on, having decent weather helps immensely if you're toiling away out doors, a few passers by commented on how clean the engine was, good job they didn't look too closely-new shiny bits really do help! 8)
Still didn't fix the rear side marker light Rissy-I'll have to do that another day....... :lol:
Well done looks a good job.

One I will be tackling during the winter….luckily in my garage.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
What paint did you use on your engine, I plan to tart mine up a little prior to re-installation but don't want it all flake off the first time it gets up to temperature

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I used some aerosol wheel paint which is tough enough to take the heat in the engine bay, best stuff was bought from Lidl,£2.50 for a 400ml of German made aerosol-I bought 4 cans and used 2 on the wheels, better than Halfords crap, I sprayed the inlet manifold and waterpump with this, I used the same type of paint on the rocker covers 3 years ago and they still look ok.
The camshaft/chain covers are unpainted, I just degreased them and then scrubbed with a Brillo pad, then used Autosol to give them a nice sheen. The exhaust was sprayed in zinc from the same Lidl range, with matt black to smarten up the brackets and injection bits.
It didn't cost a fortune, just remove the rear panel (20 minutes) to get better access to the front of the engine and do a decent job! 8)
PS they W pipe was just Brillo'd and given a good going over with the Autosol. :lol:
It looks a lovely job well done.

Regarding water pumps, i think after 35 years if it hasn't seen changed yet…...it will start leaking sooner rather than later. Thats why i will be doing mine after the NEC. Not worth taking the risk and if you happen to loose your water and don't notice….its one of the few ways to wreck one of these engines. Its also a good opportunity to change all the hidden hoses o rings etc.

Just my 4 P's worth.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian