Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing water pump with Volvo part
It looks like the water pump on my car is slowly expiring due to coolant loss and crap thrown around the water pump area, I have a brand new Volvo one but apart from the bolt on pulley the only fitment difference appears to be the electrical thermo sensor on the top left ( looking at the rear of the engine), has anyone done this swap? I know I need a new pulley (if anyone's got a spare I can purchase), but what does the electrical connector do, obviously part of the warm up system and can it be bypassed?
Thanks in advance for any help 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Not a great reply to your question, but DaveH can get your original made as good as new for a modest price. May be cheaper than getting a new pulley etc.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for that Chris, I didn't know Mr Howarth could get it reconditioned, I'll bear that in mind but I need the car for next weekend and was hoping I could sort out a quick fix with the Volvo part-it's not dripping (yet!) but I need to sort it quickly.
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
I think Julian…Just Bandits has new pulleys to fit.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It heard me-now it's dripping! :lol:
You've got the wrong water pump.

There should be a port into which you can screw the thermotime switch in the same location as the original pump.

To get you out of a fix though, yes, you can disconnet the thermotime switch and leave it out of the system.
It exclusively controls the cold start injector, which in our temperate climate has very little (no) effect on starting.

The bolt on pulley from the volvo needs a 1mm shim between it and plate on the pump, otherwise the belt won't
quite run centrally on the pulley and wear the belt prematurely...Four washers will do the job - but fit the pully to the pump whilst it's off the car!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I figured that when I bought it Rich, but I have a large tap & die set which has a metric thread similar in pitch to the adaptor-I'm going to drill it shortly, but the major hold up is the pulley, you can't get one anywhere!
I know one of the guys on the other DMC club site used to do billet aluminium pulleys to bolt straight on to the Volvo part, but still awaiting a reply.
It's not a heavy leak and only drips out after the engines cooled down, and I really want it replaced soon as winters on its way and I'm diluting my precious 50/50 antifreeze/water mix! Cry
Have you tried Julian? I have one of his waiting to fit it to my car over winter…you can borrow it if you like, but i'm a bit pushed for time at the moment. No problem if you can pick it up from Derby.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for the offer Chris, I've pm'd him on the other clubs site, but nothing yet-it's not too bad so I'll hang on till I can get one.
When I first bought LEX, 5 years ago, the water pump was leaking past the seal and out of the drain hole. It was like that for about 2 years. It only ever dripped. Nothing drastic. Then it suddenly stopped leaking. It's been dry since...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I think this is terminal Rissy-there's bits of rusty crap being flung out over the crank pulley area and it's dripping onto the crank pulley when the engine is cold. I would have thought it would have leaked more under running pressure-it's not pouring out, just an eggcup full or so overnight,very strange. Can't even temporarily bodge it with Araldite as access is bad! :lol:
Update-I got a pulley off Delorean Club member Bandit, fits the Volvo pump great, polished up very nicely and all for £25, well worth the cash and delivered in 3 days
Hopefully I'll get the chance to change it at the weekend, I'm taking the rear panel off as I'm going to paint the exhaust in heat proof paint and do some detailing while I'm in there!
Slight hold up! Does anyone know the size of the tap needed to fit the thermistor housing/adaptor to the water pump?
It would be a lot cheaper importing one from the States!
I bought one a few weeks ago off eBay in the UK for £18 including postage! Its my winter job.

Dave H can get them fully refurbished, but my last one off Vin 522 was so baby corroded inside…impeller etc, that it actually cost £120. But its nice to keep the original ones….it your pocket can stretch to it.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian