Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The dream is real and I can do it, Right guys?
Hello everyone, my name.. well it doesn't matter for now, so call me Libyan (an obvious joke I know but hey)
So, I am 32 years old, Irish and like a lot of folk I remember seeing that little movie trilogy in the 80's about a mad scientist, a boy, his family, time travel and.................... the best car ever made. It was love at first sight, I was smitten, and have been ever since. So I go to school, do well but don't like it, drop out and spend the years between 16 and 28 working one crappy job after another, driving? HA! A crappy 125cc motorbike, a crappy (but loveable) Jeep which I have since sold and a crappy Peugeot which is my other half's and I am trying to shift to pay for a family wagon, I have three beautiful children now.. (bare with me I'm getting there)
The one common factor? I would work nights and dream about owning a DeLorean, I would look them up, price them and imagine the day it happened.. But honestly I never though it would.

And then, last year, something funny happened. I said in a totally off the cuff remark to my wife: "you know I don't care what the kids work at as long as they love it, cos that's the key"... Hey, hang on, why the hell did I never apply that to myself? What the hell do I love? Football. Red Wine.. Music.. Oh and films..
So, I became an actor. And I acted, and what do you know, turns out people kind of like me and I now have an agent and a part in an Independent film, several plays and shorts behind me and just shot my first commercial. So I say hmm, you know what, if this thing goes where I want it to go, I'm going after three things.
1: Stability for my family, bills school etc.
2: Basic luxuries of life, full fridge, electricity etc.
3: Oh yes and a DeLorean!!
So I join some pages talk to some folk and it comes out.. I've.. well...... you see.....I've never... Aw man.. Ok, so I never...
I've never actually been in the presence of a real DeLorean.. I know I know pathetic right? But it's true. But as I said in my title for the first time in my life, the dream is now real.
For anyone who read all of this I commend you and thank you, I had to get it out there.
I don't really expect anything at this stage, but, if I get where I want to go, in life and my work, one day I will call on you all to guide me and help me, so please..

Be nice!!!

Libyan.
Oh bugger, I should have posted this in "new members".
Sorry guys.
Hey, good to have you on board, you should sign up on the Irish forum as well, it's http://www.delorean.ie! What part of the country are you in by the way?
Hi there,

yes welcome. Sometimes you should just follow your dream.

There are plenty on good cars and nice owners in the North and South of Ireland, meet up with some of them, they are mostly your age and very friendly. ….look out for Shane and Paul down south…they are very knowledgeable and would be a good start.

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
MML Wrote:Hey, good to have you on board, you should sign up on the Irish forum as well, it's http://www.delorean.ie! What part of the country are you in by the way?
I'm in Limerick and have applied to join the Irish chapter. I'll try my best to hook up with someone before the Summer ends, just to see and who knows maybe even sit in one!!
Chris P Wrote:Hi there,

yes welcome. Sometimes you should just follow your dream.

There are plenty on good cars and nice owners in the North and South of Ireland, meet up with some of them, they are mostly your age and very friendly. ….look out for Shane and Paul down south…they are very knowledgeable and would be a good start.

Thanks a million Chris P. I spent the evening looking through old posts, you guys really know your stuff. I'm in the right place.
Shane and Paul eh? I shall indeed.
Libyan Wrote:Hello everyone, my name.. well it doesn't matter for now, so call me Libyan (an obvious joke I know but hey)
So, I am 32 years old, Irish and like a lot of folk I remember seeing that little movie trilogy in the 80's about a mad scientist, a boy, his family, time travel and.................... the best car ever made. It was love at first sight, I was smitten, and have been ever since. So I go to school, do well but don't like it, drop out and spend the years between 16 and 28 working one crappy job after another, driving? HA! A crappy 125cc motorbike, a crappy (but loveable) Jeep which I have since sold and a crappy Peugeot which is my other half's and I am trying to shift to pay for a family wagon, I have three beautiful children now.. (bare with me I'm getting there)
The one common factor? I would work nights and dream about owning a DeLorean, I would look them up, price them and imagine the day it happened.. But honestly I never though it would.

And then, last year, something funny happened. I said in a totally off the cuff remark to my wife: "you know I don't care what the kids work at as long as they love it, cos that's the key"... Hey, hang on, why the hell did I never apply that to myself? What the hell do I love? Football. Red Wine.. Music.. Oh and films..
So, I became an actor. And I acted, and what do you know, turns out people kind of like me and I now have an agent and a part in an Independent film, several plays and shorts behind me and just shot my first commercial. So I say hmm, you know what, if this thing goes where I want it to go, I'm going after three things.
So I join some pages talk to some folk and it comes out.. I've.. well...... you see.....I've never... Aw man.. Ok, so I never...
I've never actually been in the presence of a real DeLorean.. I know I know pathetic right? But it's true. But as I said in my title for the first time in my life, the dream is now real.
For anyone who read all of this I commend you and thank you, I had to get it out there.
I don't really expect anything at this stage, but, if I get where I want to go, in life and my work, one day I will call on you all to guide me and help me, so please..

Be nice!!!

Libyan.

Lovely entrance into our little (but ever growing) community. Nice to have a well spoken and well written member.

I commend you on all the challenges you have faced and come through and still smiling. To some degree I'm sure many of us can relate to some of your experiences through life.

I hope you can get into a good situation where you can fulfil that dream of yours and get the car you've always wanted.

...took me 20 yrs of saving and I finally bought mine at your age. 5 yrs later and I'm still loving it. There's nothing like opening up that garage door and seeing it sitting there waiting for you I can tell you.

Good luck and great to have you onboard. Questions and queries all welcome here.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Libyan... Im also based in Ireland our mock up BTTF Delorean will be running in the Irish Cannonball run this year for charity.
see http://www.cannonball.ie or visit https://www.facebook.com/Deloreanevents.ie for more info.

This year 13th Sept the Cannonball will be pulling into Galway ...on the 14th passing Limerick going through the Shannon tunnel heading for Cahir...City & Town centres closed down for the event..suggest you get down to Cahir huge festival for the arrival of The Cannonball.
You can meet us there and have your photo taken in the car, kids and all.

regarding a car for you...for now I can tell you this there are a couple around that can be bought. sign up to the irish club...the guys are all in the know of where cars can be got locally as there are over hundred cars!! on this small island.

Keep an eye out for us ..
Best Regards
Dave
Rissy Wrote:
Libyan Wrote:Hello everyone, my name.. well it doesn't matter for now, so call me Libyan (an obvious joke I know but hey)

Be nice!!!

Libyan.

Lovely entrance into our little (but ever growing) community. Nice to have a well spoken and well written member.

I commend you on all the challenges you have faced and come through and still smiling. To some degree I'm sure many of us can relate to some of your experiences through life.

I hope you can get into a good situation where you can fulfil that dream of yours and get the car you've always wanted.

...took me 20 yrs of saving and I finally bought mine at your age. 5 yrs later and I'm still loving it. There's nothing like opening up that garage door and seeing it sitting there waiting for you I can tell you.

Good luck and great to have you onboard. Questions and queries all welcome here.
What a really lovely reply, thank you so much. I am delighted you got your dream and yes I have to admit on more than one occasion drifting off into my own little world and imagining that feeling of opening the garage door and looking at her sitting there all fair and bright! Some day..
dave t Wrote:Hi Libyan... Im also based in Ireland our mock up BTTF Delorean will be running in the Irish Cannonball run this year for charity.
see http://www.cannonball.ie or visit https://www.facebook.com/Deloreanevents.ie for more info.

This year 13th Sept the Cannonball will be pulling into Galway ...on the 14th passing Limerick going through the Shannon tunnel heading for Cahir...City & Town centres closed down for the event..suggest you get down to Cahir huge festival for the arrival of The Cannonball.
You can meet us there and have your photo taken in the car, kids and all.

regarding a car for you...for now I can tell you this there are a couple around that can be bought. sign up to the irish club...the guys are all in the know of where cars can be got locally as there are over hundred cars!! on this small island.

Keep an eye out for us ..
Best Regards
Dave
I've applied to the Irish chapter, heard nothing yet??
That car looks incredible and your offer is amazing. I have to come and see you. Would it be ok to Private message you?
no prob
Hello Libyan, do you ever get up to Belfast? I am over there from time to time and there's a big DeLorean meet-up every five years (next one is 2016 I think).
Starglider Wrote:Hello Libyan, do you ever get up to Belfast? I am over there from time to time and there's a big DeLorean meet-up every five years (next one is 2016 I think).
I have never been, but will make it my business in 2016, that's for sure.
It's a shame you aren't a little further north, two of us Donegal owners are taking our cars to a show in Bundoran next Sunday!
MML Wrote:It's a shame you aren't a little further north, two of us Donegal owners are taking our cars to a show in Bundoran next Sunday!
It is indeed, loads of pics now you hear?!