Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re door panel removal.
hi all

today turned my attention to the interior door panel.

my window is dead and the handle has snapped. (thanks car shippers!)

so, have the manual (not much help).
is the upper door card held on by fir trees?. does it break easy and do i just prise off?.

thanx for the help.

Regards

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Yes it is Steve. Just pop the firtrees up along the top, then pull the panel up. (Easiest way is to open the window)

There's some instructions here. One third down the page, on how to remove the panel.

http://s89196484.onlinehome.us/files/Mir...ctions.pdf
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
hi

thanks Paul.

i would take the window down, but it hums and nothing happens (assume regulator?)

the other works after 12 years off road. (but a bit slow)

i have kept the broken handle and will look at gluing and strengthen if i can, rather than fit new metal ones. i'll see how it goes.

Steve
vin1621
doc 370
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
steve.s Wrote:i have kept the broken handle and will look at gluing and strengthen if i can, rather than fit new metal ones. i'll see how it goes.

Steve
vin1621
doc 370

Hi Steve

I would do yourself a favour and just get yourself a set of new handles. Any repair on old brittle ones will be short lived and will give out on you again in an untimely fashion Smile
If the cables and setup meant that you could lift the handle with your little finger prior to it breaking then you might get away with a repair for while.

When at Eurofest I was lucky enough to be judging the door operation and interior trim and found with some of the cars how slick and easy the optimum setup can operate. It left me thinking that I have to refine my doors more....

It does your door skins no good removing them more than necessary.

My driver handle broke so I replaced both with the DMC Houston Zinc versions and the remaining good handle went to a fellow club member.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed