Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell
Back in the uk.
Chris, I will take you up on that offer.
Want to get my head around what owning this car will be like.
Plus I will have a huge list of questions.

I saw that the power ratings in europe of the car are higher than the US. I think was the
When I read the book the delorean story ~ they mentioned the power lose related to the catalytic convertor.
Is the catalytic converter not required in the UK?

My wife is warming up to the idea of a delorean. Which is good news.

Oh, found some nice cutaway images of the car ~ I wonder where they came from.
http://80sguy85.tripod.com/80stotallyaw ... /id11.html

On this guys web site, it says their is more manuals made than automatics ~ I thought the manual transmission was less produced?
Please ignore that website; there are more inaccuracies than I care to mention.

Only 91 grade gas? No - 87 is fine (R+M method)

Only 1000 autos? Again no. I think the split was about 60/40 but I don't recall which way. Though in the UK it seems to be about 90/10 in favour of the manuals.

There are only a handful of "eurospec" cars, so almost certainly any car you get will be a standard US spec one, cat included.

The only "modern" engine conversions are a couple of Chevy LS1/LS2 V8s that were well done, an Acura/Honda J32, a Supra 2JZ and the recently completed VW VR6 one. But none were cheap or easy requiring some custom made parts.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I'd buy a standard ( preferably manual ) car, get it back to the UK, chuck the cat away ( well weigh it in actually) and replace it with a £100 cat bypass pipe…or better still, a full free-flow exhaust system from Don at Nottingham..for about £900? Give the car a bit of a tune up…ignition, mixture etc and you will have plenty of power. The original engine is very reliable and trouble free….for a 35 year old car.

If you want a bells and whistles 'flying machine', buy a modern 'bean can' for a fraction of the price. (or a working BTTF 3 car of course!)

Just my opinion of course…..but I have had over a dozen of them..half of them Euro-spec.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
thanks guys.
Good to know that I can get a cheaper aftermarkeet exhaust than the DMC kit from america.
Quote:Chris, I will take you up on that offer.
Want to get my head around what owning this car will be like.
Plus I will have a huge list of questions.

I saw that the power ratings in europe of the car are higher than the US. I think was the
When I read the book the delorean story ~ they mentioned the power lose related to the catalytic convertor.
Is the catalytic converter not required in the UK?

My wife is warming up to the idea of a delorean. Which is good news.

Oh, found some nice cutaway images of the car ~ I wonder where they came from.
http://80sguy85.tripod.com/80stotallyaw ... /id11.html

On this guys web site, it says their is more manuals made than automatics ~ I thought the manual transmission was less produced?
No worries, will reply to your 'PM'
I think most of your questions have been answered, my only concern is with the cat, some still run it and it's fine but in the future as more and more EU laws come in regarding the car it may be it will need to be left on there as that's what it had on it at build. Clearly it would take an expert to know if this was the case but it may be something to watch out for in the future. My view would be to empty out the existing cat!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Been out and about again.
Very busy working around getting odd jobs done, I like it when I remember to turn on the radio.
On the radio ~ mention of the birmingham show ~ they always mention that a delorean will be their.

Visited a few cars, (not all delorean). Had some friends check out cars on my behalf internationally.
Read the mags I bought off chris. Great source of information ~ great support network.

My first classic car is actually a 1950 chevy. Which is happily sitting in my garage as of yesterday.
There is no key one point why I choose last week to go one way or another ~ or another.
Regardless of anything, (money IS always factor) but the extra seats in the chevy make it useful as a second car.

Having Chris nearby as an expert on repairs for the delorean is a major point. Having the support network here ~ kept me wanting to be apart of this elite club car ownership. Would love to go to a car met in my own delorean!

As a first car the simplicity of the mechanics of the chevy is good for me. A two door sports tourer of the delorean will most likely be my next. Just an update.