Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CV joint query
Doing my drive axle oil seals, decided to check my CV joints. Boots are good and tight, grabbed a picture of the inner joint.

Looks good for this summer to me, but wanted to check on here for a second opinion.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Can't really see anything from that photo other than a greasy blob! But that's what I'd expect, yes.

If your CV boots are sound, you have no grinding/whining noises then you have nothing to worry about.

If you really wanted, you could wash out all the old grease, inspect all the bearings, cage, and joint faces for signs of wear or damage, but you probably wouldn't find anything...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Cheers Rich! Never done CV Joints before, so a second opinion is always appreciated before I plod on Big Grin The grease on the surface was less gooey than I expected, but after sticking a finger in (ooh-err :oopsSmile it had the right consistency underneath. All the others were spot on already; though one is cable-tied and the rest are circlips.

Just packed it back up and is ready to be re-installed once I've done my lip seals! Just need to get the old seals out first...
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757